Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Polaris Virage Will not fire

I was trying to do some self reserach and ran across your posts and was hoping you might be able to help. As I said I have an 02 Virage and last year it started giving me problems. I get intermitent fire - it would not turn over. Had the following done - new battery, new plugs, new cdi box and had the carb cleaned out.

Has been running great until 2 weeks ago. I was on the water and having a good time when it stalled and will not turn over again. Every once in a great while I will get a fire again and it seems like it is going to start but will not.

I messed with the run/stop module but still no luck. battery is still strong but it will just not turn over. Any suggestions at all would be great, Thanks.

The s/s was bypassed and it did not resolve the not firing problem. Talked with mechanic today and he wants to replace the s/s switch and will not guarantee to fix the issue...help?!?!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

So you bypassed the LR-505 Start/Stop module and held the bilge button down, and still have weak or no spark -correct?

The engine cranks but does not catch.

Confirm battery voltage while cranking. Should be over 10.6 volts while cranking.

Unplug CDI Yellow/Black wire. This is the ignition kill signal to the CDI. See if you now have spark. If engine starts use choke + throttle to kill it.

Next steps would be to check stator coils and Hall Effect sensors, and also confirm CDI voltage on Brown wire.

I was informed that they did try to bypass the LR 505 s/s module but he was going to talk with his tech again for confirmation. (This because I was informed that was tried but they wanted to purchase and install a new s/s module - to which I asked why would I have yuou replace a part that you stated the test did not fixe the problem??) But, I personally tested the battery and did have it back on the charger - it was getting low - if I recall it was lowest at 9.5 during attempts to start. I will most likely get ski back with in next 1-2 days and will try as you suggested with kill switch wires to the CDI box. curiousity, if it should start right up with the kill wires not connected, would this indicate the s/s is bad?

+1
    If engine starts and runs with CDI kill wire unplugged, then the next step is to figure out if the LR module is bad or the physical lanyard switch.

You can do all these together;
    Disconnect kill wire
    Bypass LR module
    Hold Bilge button down
    Ensure battery voltage is strong

Combined these steps leave only the core ignition system to troubleshoot.

Good morning ...here is what I have found out. If I hold the s/s and repeatedly (s/s assembly isdisassembled) tap. The kill switch the ski will start. I seem to get a jump in voltage if the wires touch momentarily but as soon as I release the s/s the ski dies.
    Also I by passed as u suggested no help. I have good cranking volts on trickle charger when working on and averaging about 11 amps. I have good voltage up to the coil ignition. Will check additional ground wire by the flywheel- checked others.
    also my display is resetting a lot when trying to crank. Almost like it loses power momentarily ...clean battery terminals?? I am not sure y this is happening.
    Fuel - did not seem like I was getting fuel...was dry in the intake. So cleaned carb..was gunked up. While pushing s/s with choke on air filter off I can now see fuel splashing but with choke off cannot tell if any fuel flowing. Should I clean the fuel pump? And a note - my fuel water seperator is not full am I losing vaccume? ? Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by drunken monk View Post
    ... If I hold the s/s and repeatedly (s/s assembly is disassembled) tap the kill switch the ski will start.

I seem to get a jump in voltage if the wires touch momentarily but as soon as I release the s/s the ski dies.

Also I by passed as u suggested no help.

I have good cranking volts on trickle charger when working on and averaging about 11 amps. I have good voltage up to the coil ignition. Will check additional ground wire by the flywheel- checked others.

also my display is resetting a lot when trying to crank.

...Should I clean the fuel pump?

And a note - my fuel water separator is not full am I losing vacuum? ? Thanks

Tapping the KILL switch causes the engine to start?
    There is a combination Start/Stop switch, and a separate lanyard engine kill switch.

My guess is that one or more of the following is happening;
    - Battery is weak when cranking (replace or charge battery)
    - Bad connection from battery to engine, battery to solenoid, or other power or ground connection
    - Solenoid internal diode has failed, causing engine to start and then die when cranking is released (replace solenoid)
    - Something is up with the kill switch or start wiring...

Do not have the trickle charger connected when cranking. If the battery cannot deliver well over 10.6 volts by itself when cranking, then you need a better battery.

Try this test. Configure switches and lanyard for running. Do NOT press Start. Instead, use a metal tool to short the two heavy studs on the solenoid. There will be sparks, so use a firm hand and do not allow the tool to touch anything else, just those two studs. See if the engine cranks, starts and runs.

Fuel - Since you had it starting from time to time, I will presume there is SOME fuel in the carbs. Once you get it running, monitor the fuel separator. It should fill with fuel and stay filled when the engine is not running.

Be careful if you prime the carb intakes with some fuel dribbles. You don't want the sparks from the solenoid jumping to cause a flash fire. Safety first.

The battery will push 10.5 on its own but been cranking a lot the last couple days. Tried the solenoid get. It would nothing. Start ..... same result.

+1
    The battery will push 10.5 on its own but been cranking a lot the last couple days...
    10.5 volts while cranking is not enough.

+1
    ... Tried the solenoid get. It would nothing. Start ..... same result.
    Not quite sure what you are saying there, but if the battery is weak then nothing will work.

Sorry. Terrible signal area and no computer/internet access other than phone and I think it has a slow brain bleed. Battery is about a yr old and will crank strong. I tried to start using your solenoid bypass and it still will not fire. I should be getting my new s/s assembly soon. If you have any other suggestions let me know. I am giving up for a few days till I get. The new assembly and hit it fresh in a couple days. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information