Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with 1989 Waverunner 650 , will not start ...

New to the forums and am looking for some help. I've got a '89 WR650, it ran great for almost 3 seasons (that's all I owned it for) and mid way thru the third season it quit running. I went to start it and it flooded. Checked all the normal things, spark, changed fuel, changed spark plugs, changed fuel filter, check the pickups in the tank, etc. Still nothing. Had a Yamaha dealership rebuild the carb... still nothing. When trying to start it will instantly flood. as if the choke was stuck, and it isn't. Motor will fire on wd40/starting fluid, but won't stay running. Pull the plugs and they are dripping wet, can't figure it out. After finding out that these motors have reeds I'm going to check those out. Maybe it's got a broken reed.
    Now I can wrench but am not a mechanic and the difficult thing with this situation is the ski is about 4 hours away at our cottage sitting on our beach and I don't have a trailer or anything so I have to work on it the little time that I'm there. Also I can't find a gasket kit or reed set , can anyone point me in the direction to buy these from ?

The link at the top of the page has OEM parts..... http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm

first totaly turn off the fuel..
    mist wd40 or old school seafoam spray(can marked that it contains gasoline) into the engine while turning over, if it stays running with the throttle open and your continually misting it to run, its the carb,bad old rotten fuel or water in your fuel system or the bottom of the tank ..

if the carb ,you need to have it rebuilt again (only get a mikuni kit , you get what you pay for.. they are the best stuff)..

if it still wont run then you can make a plate, nipple and hose arangement to test the reeds ..

make it with simple cutting board plastic(walmart) and a tapped hole..remove the carb and seal the hole with your made plate .. if the reeds are still good you should be able to pull a vacume(sp) with a hose and mouth pressure.. if it 'checks' while sucking, reeds are good ...

650 stuff can be bought from the store here on GHPF as stated above or ordered from a number of supply houses...

Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    first totaly turn off the fuel..
    mist wd40 or old school seafoam spray(can marked that it contains gasoline) into the engine while turning over, if it stays running with the throttle open and your continually misting it to run, its the carb,bad old rotten fuel or water in your fuel system or the bottom of the tank ..

if the carb ,you need to have it rebuilt again (only get a mikuni kit , you get what you pay for.. they are the best stuff)..

if it still wont run then you can make a plate, nipple and hose arangement to test the reeds ..

make it with simple cutting board plastic(walmart) and a tapped hole..remove the carb and seal the hole with your made plate .. if the reeds are still good you should be able to pull a vacume(sp) with a hose and mouth pressure.. if it 'checks' while sucking, reeds are good ...

650 stuff can be bought from the store here on GHPF as stated above or ordered from a number of supply houses...
    Thanks for the reply. I will retest the carb and try the plate thing. It will run on WD40, gas tank has been pulled washed out and at the time of testing had fresh gas in it. I never was able to test if the carb rebuild was good since the ski has not run for pretty much a whole season, I gave up on it last year. I am spending a week at the cottage coming up so I hope to get it running then.

IMT,if it ran on wd, then your reeds are working.. if it revs up on the wd and idles with a slight mist, its definatly your carb..get a kit , follow the directions ..also go to mikini america.com and down load their booklet for the carb you have..

to get the right kit for this carb you need to ID it...
    check the side plate..
    one carbs called a round body (bn), the other a square body(sbn)
    1. has a plate on the side thats 'round' with 6 screws?(bn)
    2. 'square' plate, tilted on end, with 4 screws?(sbn)..
    if sbn , you will need the smaller venuri carb kit..38/

I'm just surprised it would be the carb, expecially since I had a yamaha tech rebuild it. I guess I should have mentioned that it acted the same both before and after the rebuild of the carb. I guess i can look at it again.

Got it running !!! Pulled the carb apart cleaned it, thru some fresh gas in it and it now runs.

good!!! glad you found the prob...Its nice you replyed to your own thread with the fix,then others learn from what you did to fix it..

Well the root cause was old gas, then my lack of patience after getting the carb rebuilt. I have since learned that on whatever machines I have when they are going to sit for a while turn the gas off and let the carbs run dry. That and I've just recently started adding some Seafoam to the gas and trying not to leave a lot of gas in the tanks.

I hope this info proves useful for me. Mine will run on a prime (a little gas dripped into the carb) but it won't stay running. Fuel pump is pumping and the guts of the carb are spotless. I suspect (I hope) the gas is well past it's best before date LOL...It's been laid up for well over a year. I had the tank out, and drained and rinsed it with fresh gas. But I ran out of both gas and daylight. I'll throw some fresh stuff in tomorrow and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information