Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

RXP dies at idle "sometimes"

Well, the ski is running awesome right now but sometimes if i let it down to idle coming off a medium/high speed pass the ski doesn't want to idle at all. Otherwise it idle perfectly and this only happens sometimes so i'm not quite sure what to think! I haven't done anything yet but i figured throwing in some new spark plugs couldn't hurt. Is this normal?

+1
    that's what I would do. Mines was acting up after I fogged the engine. I just replaced the plugs and everything was good again.

+1
    Well, i replaced the spark plugs and the problem still continues! I also believe i need a new battery because the one i have left me stranded today.
    After the ski died at idle, i tried to start it up again but i got nothing, absolutely nothing. No beep not gauge cluster nothing! i removed the key and tried over and over but to no avail. After getting the ski back to the beach i got it to work but the battery didnt have enough to turn it over. So i need one new battery but the other problem still evades me... Why would the RPM's dip to 500 after a Moderate to high speed pass?? Any ideas are welcome, im begining to think it may be the injectors? But with all the weird electrical stuff thats been happening im not sure!

+1
    Also worth mentioning that when i accelerate my warning light comes on, when im up on plane it goes off. . . .

+1
    What warning light? Check all your grounds and electrical connections

+1
    The oil light. So i brought the ski in to have them ceck for more codes and the tech told me he found one for my gauges, and high temp on the intake manifold, as well as a bad connection between either the key or the post. I already knew about the bad key. But i had no idea about the high temp on the intake manifold. What should i do about that?

+1
    The issues keep getting weirder.

So took the ski out today to see if by some miracle the new key changed anything. . . it did but its definantly not because of they key. Now instead of dieing at idle it idle's at about 2200 RPM! Im getting more confused by the day as too what is wrong with this ski of mine.

The 4-TEC engines control idle speed via an idle bypass valve mounted on the throttle body. It is a pretty complex device, a little stepper motor turns and adjusts the amount of air it lets go into the engine, controlling the idle speed. This is the first thing I would check out, to make sure the connector is in good shape, etc. You should check for any fault codes related to the idle bypass valve as well.

If your engine is at 2200 RPM at idle, your likely either have a air leak somewhere in the intake system, manifold to head gaskets, throttle body to manifold, or cracked manifold/leaking around the intercooler mount. Or the idle bypass valve is bad.

+1
    Okay, ill check out that idle bypass valve. No, fault codes. . . only one that was for MPEM connection. Is it okay to ride it on the fourth?
    What does this little device look like?

If you have no other issues, it will be OK to ride as-is. The idle bypass valve is on top of the throttle body, attached with two screws. It has a 4 wire connector attached to it. Do not, repeat, do not take off the valve, attach the connector, and turn on ski power. This will destroy the valve, as the stepper motor will run the plunger right off the end. The only real way to absolutely rule it out is to swap it out. Do you have a friend with a 4-TEC? I wouldn't buy a new one to swap as they are pretty expensive.

If you put your ear down next to the throttle body and put the key on, you can hear the valve run to the closed position, then open up a certain amount, sort of a whirring, clicking sound.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information