xl1200 wont start

I took my xl1200 to the lake last weekend, it started fine, and thruout the day, it seemed to have a harder and harder time starting every time we started it. By the end of the day, it would barely run, and only with the choke pulled.

Got it home, tried to start it, and I couldnt get it to start. Checked the fuel filter, its fine.. I noticed after I reinstalled the fuel filter, and tried to start it, no fuel was going into the fuel filter. Pulled the fuel sender, the bottom flap is warped, and was not seated properly. I reseated the bottom piece, and reinstalled the sender. Still nothing. Then I turned the fuel switch to reserve, and noticed that I was getting fuel into the filter finally, but still not starting.

Im at a loss here, not sure which direction to head next.. any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by firestoned View Post
    I took my xl1200 to the lake last weekend, it started fine, and thruout the day, it seemed to have a harder and harder time starting every time we started it. By the end of the day, it would barely run, and only with the choke pulled.

Got it home, tried to start it, and I couldnt get it to start. Checked the fuel filter, its fine.. I noticed after I reinstalled the fuel filter, and tried to start it, no fuel was going into the fuel filter. Pulled the fuel sender, the bottom flap is warped, and was not seated properly. I reseated the bottom piece, and reinstalled the sender. Still nothing. Then I turned the fuel switch to reserve, and noticed that I was getting fuel into the filter finally, but still not starting.

Im at a loss here, not sure which direction to head next.. any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!

You might need to rebuild the carbs...

My first tests are a compression test of all cylinders, Then if those are good pour a capfull of gas down each carb and try to start it. If it fires right up and then dies you know you need to chase the fuel issue. Check the rubber line to the pump from the engine for cracks and connections if it has one on it. I have also seen the fuel filters in the tank come off on olders skis allowing the lines to float up out of the fuel.

Thread Information