Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2001 genesis 1200 no spark

My buddy brought his 2001 genesis carbed model over. Last fall, he was riding it and it just quit. They said it had no spark. I have been doing some research on here and have read that these things require a good battery. Is it possible that the battery just took a crap while he was riding it???

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Possible - it can happen.

Check battery volts while cranking. Must be over 10.6 volts.

Could also be a failed LR Start/Stop module, bad lanyard switch, failed stator or CDI....

You can bypass the LR module.

What else should I check. The battery is completely flat so I'm charging it now but I wouldn't think it would just quit like that from a bad battery. I've read a little bit and know there should be atleast 10.6 volts on the red/purple wire while cranking. Also read to disconnect the yellow/black wire in the cdi. What does this exactly do. Sorry I'm not much of a watercraft person.

Originally it had no spark. Held in the bilge pump button while cranking and I got spark. Started it up and let go of the bilge pump button and it kept running. Now it starts everytime without holding in the bilge pump button to bypass the LR module. What the heck is going on here???

+1
    Battery may be borderline.

let it sit overnight without the battery charger. See if it will only start with Bilge button held down after sitting.

OR measure the battery voltage while cranking. If it is barely over 10.6 volts while cranking, the battery is weak.

+1
    Another possibility is the LR module or CDI is borderline.

Well, I tried it and no spark this morning but the cranking volts was now at 9.5 so guess its time for a new battery.

After I bought my Genesis... the battery would crank the engine perfectly... but the voltage was marginal while cranking. (dropping to 10.4 ~ 10.5) and it would refuse to start. After reading stuff here... I put in a fresh battery, and it fired up perfect. (that battery went into one of my Seadoo's, and 2 years later, is still ok)

The newer Polaris' are very sensitive to voltage.

Well I put in a fresh battery and it still has some issues. It is fine if you let it sit for a bit and then start it and go but if you ride it for awhile and then let it sit for a couple hours, then it won't start and it'll say low battery. Hit the bilge pump button and it'll fire right up. Any insight.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdooracer View Post
    Well I put in a fresh battery and it still has some issues.

It is fine if you let it sit for a bit and then start it and go but if you ride it for awhile and then let it sit for a couple hours, then it won't start and it'll say low battery.

Hit the bilge pump button and it'll fire right up. Any insight.
    The Low Battery message suggests there is a wiring problem or bad ground somewhere.

Is the MFI display in 100% working order?

Remove the engine end of the black battery cable and ensure you have clean metal to metal contact to the engine. Clean the battery end of the black cable too.

Do the same with the red battery cable, and clean the thin red wire end at the solenoid.

Open up the electrical box and make sure all the black wire connections, terminals and ground screws really are clean and tight. Do the same with the red and red/purple wires and connections.

Now measure some voltages.

What is the battery voltage while cranking the engine? (lanyard out so it doesn't start)

When engine is running, what is the battery voltage? Should be right around 14.5 volts and be stable as RPM changes.

If problem is still happening, unplug and bypass the LR-505 Start/Stop module. See if engine now starts reliably.

With LR module unplugged you will not have battery charging. If you reconnect just the Black, Yellow and Red/Purple wires to the LR module that will restore battery charging. Be sure to keep the other LR wires taped up so they don't short to anything.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information