Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1

Question Differences between MSX 140 and Virage TXi ???

Does anyone know what differences there are between the MSX 140 and the TXi?
    I know the hull and body work are different, and the motor is essentially the same (different porting). But what about everything else?

Gas/oil tank, driveshaft, fuel pump, exhaust, even little things add up quickly, tell me what you know....

Basically I would IDEALLY like to pick up an MSX hull and drop my freshly rebuilt 1200 DFI into it.

Anyone know if the MSX MFD will plug into a TXi harness?

IMO the MSX is the best looking hull out there from Polaris. How is the overall comparision against the Virage in terms of performance?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Lots of little differences...

MSX 140 hull?
    MSX 140 wiring harness?

The engine will drop in, but you may have to use the MSX 140 exhaust manifold and pipe to fit into the hull. If you are going to use the MSX 140 EMM and injectors then you want to also use the MSX intake manifold.

The MSX 140 oil pump has four oil outputs, while the red engine only has three.

The MSX 140 display is physically different from the Virage display, and uses the different MSX speedometer sensor.

I think the Vriage fuel tank will fit the MSX hull, and the fuel pump is the same.

Probably some other stuff I forgot to mention..

+1
    Basically im looking at the possibility of getting an "empty" hull and dropping all my virage parts into it.
    These "empty hulls" vary on what all is included.
    I will plan to use my motor, harness, emm, pump, etc. Basically everything I can possibly swap over.

I'm just trying to figure out from a cost point what else I would need to make it all work. Like could I reuse my waterbox and exhaust? (I have a TDR box)
    Could I plug a MSX display into a virage harness? Is it the same internally, and just styled differently?

Are the engine mounting points the same between the 3 different MSX hulls? For example I was able to drop my 1200 into a 700 Virage hull just by moving the front mounts forward.

Lots of little questions and details that I need answers to before I take the plunge. I dont want to start this project only to find out I need another crap load of parts.

I have litterally replaced 99% of all the nuts, bolts, washers, gaskets, seals, hoses, everything on this virage with brand new OEM polaris parts. Yeah I spent a butt ton more on parts but im anal when it comes to a rebuild. I would hate to have all this stuff wasted just because I decided to swap hulls halfway through my build.
    My other option is to just get another Virage hull and custom paint it. But doing that will cost as much as an MSX hull :/

+1
    The Virage wire harness will not just drop into the MSX hull. The display is in the hood and the cables are much longer.

Electrically the MSX display is different regarding the speedo and the Mode button (which is on the handlebars for the MSX). Also the MSX display doesn't have the security feature of the Virage MFI, so that would have to be jumpered.

The EMM is located in the rear of the MSX hull, very different from the early Virage TXi. You really want to use an MSX 140 wire harness and display.

The MSX 110 and MSX 150 hulls have a different inner hull liner than the MSX 140 hull. Yes, the MSX hulls have a liner, unlike all other Polaris PWC models.

Why not finish your Virage project with a Virage hull?

If you want to get into the MSX, I am sure you can find a compete MSX 140 around with a blown engine, and rebuild that.

+1
    Thanks K447. The more I think about it, the more it would be much more badass to just re gel a Virage hull in a custom black.
    I still really like the look of the MSX, and I may get one one day. I don't want a 110 or a 150, I hear those engines are crap and quite $$ for repairs. Besides the 2 strokes are easier to work on in a small area like a pwc hull.

What is this liner you speak of? Any pics?

+1
    When you look inside your Virage hull, you see the inside surface of the actual hull.

When you look inside an MSX hull, what you see is not the inside surface of the hull itself, but an inner liner. There is a gap/space between the liner shell and the actual hull. The liner covers the bottom and goes part way up the sides where it then joins the outer hull.

Other brands have used inner liners on some models for years. The MSX was the first (and last) Polaris hull with a liner.

+1
    Whats the purpose of the liner?
    Is that sucker replaceable ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by UnityRacing View Post
    Whats the purpose of the liner?
    Is that sucker replaceable ?
    The liner creates a space that can hold flotation foam and increase the buoyancy of a flooded hull.

Replaceable? I suppose it could be cut out of the hull. With effort, I imagine.

Thread Information