Fuel Filter on '01 Virage

I'm having a serious bogg issue when hitting throttle, especially off idle. My guess is a lack of fuel issue. The Service manual shows a in-line filter, but I can't find it. Also is there a filter at the bottom of the fuel pick-up/level sender asm in the fuel tank?

I'm also planning to replace all fuel lines, fuel shut-off valve and rebuild the carb. Still think a fuel filter may be at least part of issue?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

There is no fuel filter on the fuel tank pickup for the carburetor engines.

Certainly replacing the fuel lines and rebuilding the carbs is an excellent place to start. Use genuine OEM carb rebuild kits, not aftermarket.

Also inspect, clean/rebuild or replace the fuel selector valve if there is any chance it is leaking air into the fuel lines. Fuel supply lines from the tank to the engine are under suction, not pressure.

Make sure you are using the correct spark plugs.

Thanks K447 for the info. Since I can't find a in-line fuel filter either, my guess is the only fuel filter is in the water separator? Should that filter be replaced? Or is there no fuel filter at all? Regarding the carb rebuild kit, I ordered it from SBT.com. - Keihin CDK 11 kit. Is this a OEM source or is there another option?. Did alot of searching, but could not find a better option. Again, thanks for your advise!

Pull the water separator apart and clean it. It doesn't have to be replaced, if the the stainless mesh screen comes clean, and looks good. Also, check the tiny filters in each carb. They have been known to plug up. More than likely, you have sticking accelerator pump poppet nozzles. With the flame arrestor off, they should squirt fuel in the top of the carb, when going full throttle from idle.

The SBT kit is NOT OEM...

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like there is no fuel filter at all, except for in the carb? (700 engine). I checked the accelerator pump last fall before ending the ride season, while still having this boog problem. I squezzed the throttle with engine off and it seemed to squirt a good stream of fuel into the carb. throat, but I will check it again. Are you aware of a better way to confirm the accelerator pump is working?

Any ideas where I can buy a OEM carb kit for a 40 mm Keihin LE carb?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gogebicrider View Post
    ... Any ideas where I can buy a OEM carb kit for a 40 mm Keihin LE carb?
    Contact John Zigler

See my signature links for Parts Sources info.

Sorry, but I'm new at this and not sure what or where your signature link is. I've moved around to different areas on your response . but can't find anything linking me to a parts source. I'm feeling like a door-knob and clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!

+1

Thread Information