Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Problems with a '94 750

I am having a problem with my 1994 Polaris 750. I took it out yesterday and it ran great at first. It usually runs great, no problems for two years so i guess i was due for one. anyway, i did a few 360's and opened it up on the lake for about 10 min straight and then all the sudden when i turned to go back to shore it bogged down from 40 mph to no more than 10 with the throttle fully open. I got it back and out of the water, started it again and it ran good on trailer. I put it back in the water and same thing, but ran even worse sputtering, stalling, etc. Now it wont start at all and after trying for a while its flashing lopr. i assume i drained the batt from trying to get it running. I checked the plugs, and air filter and both are good, and only 3 weeks old. Any help with this would be very appreciated as i dont want to loose the rest of the summer on the water. Thanks much.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Check cylinder compression.

If battery is run down then charge it.

What maintenance have you done previously?

Have a look through my signature links, starting with the new-to-me section.

the only stuff i do regularly; grease drive shaft, change plugs twice a season, i recently changed the electrical box o ring ( i did notice alot of corrosion in the box on all the connections, but i put dielectric grease on everything). the only thing that has been different since i took it out last is that i used a 2 stroke oil that i have never used before (Penzoil synthetic blend marine oil). i also noticed when i had it running on trailer that is was smoking more that usual very white smoke. how do i check the compression?

I just read about "limp mode" and that explains exactly what it was like but it also says 750's dont have that feature. I also read how to to a compression test, thanks for the info!

Saving the Manuals every day.. TheBlueMartin's Avatar
    +1
    K447 has all the info you need. May want to try some Heet in your fuel tank in case you got condensation in it over the winter

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueMartin View Post
    ... May want to try some Heet in your fuel tank in case you got condensation in it over the winter
    If there is water in the fuel tank or you even suspect the fuel is degraded, drain the fuel tank and clean it, then use fresh fuel.

It just is not worth damaging an engine to save old or contaminated fuel. Use it in your lawnmower or something else.

Ive had it up and running for a while now and had it out at least 8 times and have gone through a few tanks of gas so i doubt the fuel having condensation but i will check it asap. im picking up a compression gauge today so ill chime back in after i get results. Thanks again for all the useful tips and links!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Check your exhaust hose. Is it REALLY soft and mushy?

Well I just did a compression test and found the problem .0 on #1, and 130 on #2&3. I then removed the. Piston cap and saw a ugly Shitty week ruining hole in the piston. Do I fix or junk it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
    the only stuff i do regularly; grease drive shaft, change plugs twice a season...
    My guess is that the lack of fuel system maintenance caught up with you. Probably clogged up carburetor(s) and an original fuel pump.

Either can eventually cause a lean condition which melts the piston.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information