Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Winterization method

Thought I would share my method of flushing/adding antifreeze to PWC's for winterization.
    -I have a piece of garden hose to thread into the flush port on the pump, one end is threaded for the pump and the other is just open
    -I put the antifreeze mixture in a water type fire extinguisher, any type of sprayer that you can pressurize will work. It just so happens that the nozzle on the extinguisher fits nicely into the open end of the flush hose.
    -Start the ski and then "shoot" the antifreeze into the flush hose. When the mixture comes out the exhaust and pissers (if so equipped) your good to go. I usually run about a gallon of mixture through the ski.

I have done this for the past two years on several ski's (Yamahas and Sea-Doos) and have had no problems with freezing.

My older XP doesn't have a flush attachment on the pump, but a connection point on the cooling hose on the engine. I removed the connector and replaced it with a water hose connector and do the same procedure.

Even with the closed loop cooling system on the RXP's, the lake water is pumped into the exhaust and intercooler. They are supposed to be self draining, but doing the antifreeze flush is not expensive and gives me a little peace-of-mind.

+1
    Thats good info Greg!!!

This looked like some good info....
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    is this just to pump antifreeze up into the intercooler?? The manifold, and intercooler are NOT self draining.

Quote Originally Posted by watermedic View Post
    Thought I would share my method of flushing/adding antifreeze to PWC's for winterization.
    -I have a piece of garden hose to thread into the flush port on the pump, one end is threaded for the pump and the other is just open
    -I put the antifreeze mixture in a water type fire extinguisher, any type of sprayer that you can pressurize will work. It just so happens that the nozzle on the extinguisher fits nicely into the open end of the flush hose.
    -Start the ski and then "shoot" the antifreeze into the flush hose. When the mixture comes out the exhaust and pissers (if so equipped) your good to go. I usually run about a gallon of mixture through the ski.

I have done this for the past two years on several ski's (Yamahas and Sea-Doos) and have had no problems with freezing.

My older XP doesn't have a flush attachment on the pump, but a connection point on the cooling hose on the engine. I removed the connector and replaced it with a water hose connector and do the same procedure.

Even with the closed loop cooling system on the RXP's, the lake water is pumped into the exhaust and intercooler. They are supposed to be self draining, but doing the antifreeze flush is not expensive and gives me a little peace-of-mind.
    will this method work with a funnel attached to the open end of the garden hose? or do you need pressure to feed the antifreeze into the flushing connection? basically just gravety (hold the garden hose with the funnel up high)

Quote Originally Posted by daverxp4 View Post
    will this method work with a funnel attached to the open end of the garden hose? or do you need pressure to feed the antifreeze into the flushing connection? basically just gravety (hold the garden hose with the funnel up high)
    Gravity wont work, there needs to be some kind of pressure forcing the antifreeze inside.

I just pulled off the intercooler hoses and let them drain, then attached the bottom hose. Poured 50/50 mix antifreeze into the top outlet hole of the intercooler using a oilboy hose (clean unused). I also replaced those that damn okieter clamp with a stainless steel clamp. I also poured antifreeze down the two hoses to the ride plate for the hell of it until I see antifreeze dripping out the back.

+1
    Careful using a 50/50 mix of antifreeze, if there is any water in the lines, your mix has just gotten deluded.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Doo View Post
    Careful using a 50/50 mix of antifreeze, if there is any water in the lines, your mix has just gotten deluded.
    I did exactly what was posted on the Sea-Doo service update that Kich posted.

+1
    my ski sits inside a heated warehouse.. you guys think it will be allright with out the antifreeze?? it wont ever be cold enough inside to be at freezing temps.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information