Service bulletin upgrade done but bilge pump on? 1996 SLTX 1050

Hello - I am a newbee here and need a bit of help. Maybe more soon. I just got my new to me machine - 96 SLTX 1050 and noticed that there is a service bulletin that is recommended for the warm start problem. I took the electrical box apart and did the jumper from the cdi to the orange terminal, put things back together and now my bilge pump runs constantly??

I must have done something wrong, obviously. I unplugged the Y split connector from the cdi and taped it up as instructed, made a real nice orange jumper and ran it from the cdi male connector to the ORG terminal.

There is still the other half of that Y connection (red/purp) lead that goes to the main circuit board. I tried unplugging that also but no change for the bilge.

I don't want to cook anything here as it is in mint shape with only 77 hours on it and it wasn't cheap. Thanx for any clues. Cheers, Ross
    Last edited by K447; 06-27-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Can you post some clear photos of what you have done with the wiring?

If you put it back to stock configuration does the bilge pump behave normally?

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    Is the bilge runing when the engine is off or on it was not clear in the post?

K447 - thanx for the reply. I didn't understand what the cdi was until I found some info on another site. I had used the Red/org wire from the wrong module and routed it into the org terminal. I had used the smaller 1.5" x 1" module that is mounted beside the larger 3" x 4" cdi. I think this caused the bilge pump to run continuously.
    I then realized that I had the wrong module identified and disconnected that. I followed the correct steps after that to complete the service but now there is no power at all, not even to the LED display. Could I have cooked something or just blown a fuse?
    Thanx again, Ross

+1
    Need to understand what you now have connected to what.

Perhaps a few clear photos of the wiring in there will clarify.

I have now connected it back to original in hopes that it would work again, but no go, not even LCD. I will have to wait till next Friday before I can get some pics.
    stay tuned....thx

There are only two fuses in the e-box....pop them out and see if they're blown.

do you know what those fuses are for?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    do you know what those fuses are for?
    There are two fuses inside the electrical box. 3 Amp fuse for bilge pump, and 1/4 Amp fuse for the MFD display.

There is also a Reset button, which is actually a circuit breaker. If the button pops up, you restore power by pressing it back down. If it won't stay down then there is a short circuit somewhere or the circuit breaker needs replacing.

Make sure the thin red wire from the Reset button that runs to the start solenoid is on the correct stud. It must be on the same stud as the heavy red wire that connects to the battery.

Thread Information