Unhappy I am frustrated ! ..I have a ski that doesnt like the water .. RXDI .. suggestions ?

Well Im looking for suggestions and advice on my 2002 RXDI .. I had purchased it used with 96 hours on it at xmas.. It runs great out of the water.. as soon as its in the water , starts right up and idles fine.. then when throttle is applied .. it gets up to 2500-3500 RPM and starts to cut out ( acts like its not getting fuel ) .. the ski gets up to 15-20 mph if lucky.., and then after a few mins.. it dies.. , then after re plugging the lanyard, it starts to idle.. then dies again.

I have had this RXDI to the shop 5 times ( 2 different shops ) .. and they said the same thing.. "Your ski is running great , nothing is wrong" .. they both said they have had the ski hooked up to a diagnostic .. and no codes come up. The first shop narrowed in on the voltage regulator and the fuel pump.. but he said they are both working fine, even did a pressure test on the pump and he said its more then whats needed. At the end he said I should get a second opinion.

Well the second shop , at first said they found a kinked air line and that was the problem.. after another 130 dollar air tube & labor repair , I took it to the lake and sure enough.. NO different . Taking it back and after another 5 days they tell me today they cant find anything wrong and he suggest a new fuel filter.

Im looking for any suggestions, advice , or if you know anyone in the DI expertise that is in the Phoenix AZ area. Just like they say on these forums .. This RXDI is nickel and diming me! At this point I could have bought a newer ski for the money I have dumped into this 02 RXDI.

Thank in advance !

Quote Originally Posted by Chucke.b View Post
    Well Im looking for suggestions and advice on my 2002 RXDI .. I had purchased it used with 96 hours on it at xmas.. It runs great out of the water.. as soon as its in the water , starts right up and idles fine.. then when throttle is applied .. it gets up to 2500-3500 RPM and starts to cut out ( acts like its not getting fuel ) .. the ski gets up to 15-20 mph if lucky.., and then after a few mins.. it dies.. , then after re plugging the lanyard, it starts to idle.. then dies again.

I have had this RXDI to the shop 5 times ( 2 different shops ) .. and they said the same thing.. "Your ski is running great , nothing is wrong" .. they both said they have had the ski hooked up to a diagnostic .. and no codes come up. The first shop narrowed in on the voltage regulator and the fuel pump.. but he said they are both working fine, even did a pressure test on the pump and he said its more then whats needed. At the end he said I should get a second opinion.

Well the second shop , at first said they found a kinked air line and that was the problem.. after another 130 dollar air tube & labor repair , I took it to the lake and sure enough.. NO different . Taking it back and after another 5 days they tell me today they cant find anything wrong and he suggest a new fuel filter.

Im looking for any suggestions, advice , or if you know anyone in the DI expertise that is in the Phoenix AZ area. Just like they say on these forums .. This RXDI is nickel and diming me! At this point I could have bought a newer ski for the money I have dumped into this 02 RXDI.

Thank in advance !
    I feel your pain. I HAD the same model in malzaltan Blue. Ski rode great for 56 hours and then like someone flipped a switch it shut down... would start fine, but as soon as you start to move and reached 1700 rpm it would cut out. I was able to keep it idling while being towed 13 miles back to the ramp, being eaten alive by the greenheads
    I immediately called the dealer since we had a warranty and made arrangements. Dropped the ski off at the dealer and while talking with the owner I asked a salesman to appraise our ski, he came back with a number I couldn`t refuse even tho it needed repair (warranty work). We came home with a new 2004 GTXsc ( in 2004) and that is another story...
    when I went back for the ten hour on the GTX, I asked the service writer (who is a jerkoff btw) and he said, I remember that ski, and he said that I submersed my ski and sunk it causing rust in the crank and the crank snapped in half, I got into a nice argument with that tool... funny how I brought the ski running in on both cylinders...
    so I never really did find out the truth, I started doing my own maintenance after the 10 hour dealer service.
    I can say that the DI ski`s are an electrical nightmare. If I had known, I would have bought the carb`d version...

you need to have them water test the ski and have their diagnostic laptop with them...

+1
    i had the same problem with my rx ended up being the wear ring

+1
    i have seen this same thing also in 02 rx di ,happened the pump bearings where seizing .every 14 min like clock work it would die start back up and same thing all over again.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Unfortunately it's a DI and it's always going to eat your money man,sorry

Sounds like the fuelpump. The DI is very sensitive for fuel pressure. Look in the shop manual how to mesuer the pressure it should be 107 PSI from the pump. I had the same problem with my last year. If it´s the fuelpump it could get expenssive but there are ways to get one cheaper than seadoo original.

The Di engines have cooling through the cases, once the cooling chanel corrodes the water ingests into the engine and accelerating the engine brings the water pressure up enough to feed water into the combustion chamber.
    It will run fine on the hose at low pressure, but when the jet pump is in the water the pressure is higher and increases exponentially with rpm, hence cutting out.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information