Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

PPG or Riva Air Intake, can't decide

This is for an RXT... but i imagine we're in the same boat somewhat with the 215 SC IC ....

not sure what to do... my intended plans are the following mods:

Solas (dunno which one for RXT)
    Densos
    Pump Wedge maybe? (NONE? 2.5?? 2.0?? )
    Vortech SC Impeller
    Power Filter / Electric Fan

I will not be doing any more mods than those... so which air intake kit would you go for and why? All biased and un-biased opinions welcome, just keep it clean and not hostile please

Also, which pump wedge, or no pump wedge?

with those mods listed above, any guesses of what I can expect as far as acceleration and top speed on this big ass couch?

Whats up shibby, glad to so you made it...

I have heard good results on RXPs with the Riva powerfilter and S/C impeller combination. If you go with the Solas prop, PPG can get you the right pitch for your set-up. I've been told that the 2.5 degree is best for the GTX/RXT hull.

The only downside I see to the Riva powerfilter, is that as you run all day long it keeps getting hotter and hotter in the hull (like 150 degrees hot) and the powerfilter is just sucking in all that hot air. The PPG system is pulling in fresh air from the outside.

I'd say with those mods you should see better than stock accel and approx 68 top end.

Good luck!

+1
    seems like its gonna take more than I thought to break the 70 mph barrier huh?

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Shibby,

I am .4 mph away from 70 with these mods:

1. Riva Powerflow intake (modified somewhat for colder air)
    2. PPG 2.5 degree wedge
    3. "Impros tweaked" stock impeller (12/18.5)
    4. OPAS blocked up

Granted, I was very low on fuel, but almost there nonetheless. Dave at Impros wants to bump the impeller up to a 12/19.0 because I am still reaching 8150 rpm. I'm holding off because I have a 12/19.5 coming I want to try first. If it's to much, Dave will know what to do.

I agree that a consistant 70 mph with a reasonable level of fuel will take some effort... but hitting it initially will help my motivation.

Jeff

Well there you go... maybe you can get to seventy with those mods.

P.S. Don't forget to add OPAS block-offs to your list.

+1
    The PPG unit is a good thought plan and cool with the fan switch. I would almost run all those mods without the wedge at first and then see where you're at. Then maybe add the wedge when you repitch.

+1
    i will block UP opas.... i won't remove it. i did it on my NA 4-tec and hoenstly didn't like it as much without it. felt like i lost alot of handling capabilities. u gain ALOT by blocking opas up... but going from blocked up OPAS to No opas is minimal difference that i didn't find worthwhile in my opinion... blocking it up makes huge speed gains.... removing it after a block up was zero gains on GPS.

i guess first i will add an air intake.... which one i'm still undecided.... i'll see what the RPMS look like and decide on either a SOLAS or a repitch or the stocker like JEFF did....

+1
    You should mount a camera to where you can see if you're getting some diverted spray after blocking your OPAS up. I think there would still be some drag however you won't see speed increases because I think the OPAS is only a drag when conditions are choppy and you won't see increases anyhow.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Hey Shibby, do you need some OPAS block-ups? I've got several sets and will give you one if you like. They are 3/8" longer than the consumer offerings allowing for maximum lift.

Jeff

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited
    Hey Shibby, do you need some OPAS block-ups? I've got several sets and will give you one if you like. They are 3/8" longer than the consumer offerings allowing for maximum lift.

Jeff
    thanks Jeff.... but i have the PVC pieces that i had cut back when i had my other 4-tec... they were a perfect snug fit for maximum lift as well... luckily i saved them, i'll just pop those on...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information