Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GP1200r died on the lake...

I'm pretty sure this was just a battery fail... but I just want to make sure.

My '01 GP1200R was giving me problems at the beginning of the season. It just wouldn't start without some extreme coaxing with starter fluid. It eventually started. Problem is, I think we drained the hell out of my battery cranking it over so much.

So, we went to the lake yesterday, I had the battery on a 2amp charger for about six hours beforehand.

Once the 1200 was fired up, I took it out for a nice warmup run around the lake. No serious beating or anything. A couple short full throttle runs toward the end of the run. After about five minutes of riding... the RPMs dipped to about 4000 and wouldn't go any higher... that went on for a couple seconds... then it just died. When I tried to start it again... it made the most god awful grinding/clicking noise ever. Didn't even crank over. I did all the usual checks, no water anywhere in the engine bay, all electrical seemed sound... no disconnected wires, no loose terminals.

My friend and I agreed it was just not getting enough juice... and I have ordered another battery. But I figured I'd run this tale by you guys to see if anybody else has an idea they can scare the crap out of me with.

If you can charge the battery fully and get it to turn over you should do a compression test. Starting fluid is very bad for two stroke engines. If the engine slowed down and then died it may have seized. If it wont turn over to do a compression test you will have to pull the head off and look for damage.

Goddammit... I had no idea. Really pissed at myself right now.

Just put my good battery from my 1300 in it. Same horrible noise. No turning over.

It's done.

Kind of dejected at this point. And I feel like an idiot.

Pull the head and post a picture on here.

Anything I should buy before taking the head off? I know I cannot take the head off of my car without replacing all the gaskets afterward. Is it the same thing with the GPR motors?

Honestly... I might just take this thing straight to Woody. No matter what is wrong with it... I don't trust myself to fix it.

However, I am going to buy a shitty old 2-stroke standup or something to fiddle with myself so I have a decent amount of knowledge about these engines. My lack of knowledge is what caused this... gotta fix that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by abe View Post
    Anything I should buy before taking the head off? I know I cannot take the head off of my car without replacing all the gaskets afterward. Is it the same thing with the GPR motors?

Honestly... I might just take this thing straight to Woody. No matter what is wrong with it... I don't trust myself to fix it.

However, I am going to buy a shitty old 2-stroke standup or something to fiddle with myself so I have a decent amount of knowledge about these engines. My lack of knowledge is what caused this... gotta fix that.
    It'll only need a head gasket when you go to put the head back on. I know some guys re-use those, but I sure as hell don't.

I have a buddy with a borescope. I'm going to see what I can see with that... but I'm basically just gonna take this thing to WC Porting as soon as I have the funds saved up.

No way am I popping my engine rebuild cherry on this thing. I'll do that with a crappy little standup (just found an old, non-running superjet locally for a couple hundred bucks).

man, your going to keep us in suspense???

+1
    its no big deal man, try to spin the pto coupler and make sure the motor isnt seized, if it is then just rebuild it. how old was the battery?

you can re use the headgasket, just put a light coating of marine grease on it when you reinstall it.

As soon as I get a hold of a borescope, I will post shots from that. If that doesn't work out, I'm just going to buy a new gasket Monday and take the head off that night.

Sorry for the wait, but unfortunately, I can't work on the poor thing tonight or tomorrow.

I still feel like a total dolt though. This really is quite depressing.

In other news... the WC Porting built GP1300R is running insanely strong. Feels quite a bit faster this season for some reason. It somehow peeled it's own registration stickers off Thursday night while toasting a built late model RXP. I have yet to get a GPS run this summer, but I have a feeling I am going to be pleasantly surprised. And the thing still needs impeller tuning, 14/24 isn't radical enough, that's the amazing part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information