Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How small of a chamber can I run on 1300 on 93?

Ok well I had to pull the engine to replace the rear seal. I want to mill the head but it was said to of been milled in the past. With stock pistons how small can I mill the chamber (if thats what you even call it on a 2 stroke) to cc wise to be safe with say a 4 degree keyway and 93 octane? I dont trust the compression gauge to rely on that alone so I would rather just do it the right way and cc the head before I mill it especially since it may have already been milled some before. I just don't even know how many cc a stock head is to begin with.

Also since I have it all apart is there anything else worth doing to the ski performance wise? It currently has all the Riva stage II parts and only 7 hour old pistons and crank.

+1
    Im thinkin 40ccs

Woody or Lowell should know 4 sure

thanks, hopefully one of them will chime in then. The factory chamber is what around 46 or 48 cc?

+1
    41.5 cc is the max for safety and best all round 43 cc works good and safe just incase you get some old 93 octain fuel that has been sitting in a tank for a while. I talked to a service station guy he told me they would buy 4-6 tanker trucks of 87 regular gas to 1 tanker truck of 93. With that said you might be getting 93 fuel that has been refined 4-8 weeks old. I try to buy my fuel from a station that sells a lot of fuel everyday. Just some info for you to think about. Tommy Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    41.5 cc is the max for safety and best all round 43 cc works good and safe just incase you get some old 93 octain fuel that has been sitting in a tank for a while. I talked to a service station guy he told me they would buy 4-6 tanker trucks of 87 regular gas to 1 tanker truck of 93. With that said you might be getting 93 fuel that has been refined 4-8 weeks old. I try to buy my fuel from a station that sells a lot of fuel everyday. Just some info for you to think about. Tommy Jordan
    to add also: in todays economy most people are buying cheaper gas. The local Wawa here sells a ton of regular, and the price of premium has remained high bc they don`t sell a lot of it...
    I have been purchasing fuel from a mom and pop owned Sunoco. Figured this is my best chance to get 93 octane for a decent price and still 16 cents per gallon lower than Wawa at the moment. This sunoco goes thru a lot of fuel of all grades including diesel.

Thanks guys. Good points about the fuel too. Never thought about it. Have always been careful not to buy fuel from a gas station while a tanker is there though. At home in the Baltimore area it is so busy that everybody sells a ton of fuel so it isn't really an issue but now I have been keeping my ski in South Carolina and its not near as busy or populated so I should choose my gas stations here wisely. And just to confirm 41.5 - 43cc would be safe with the 4 degree keyway or is that with stock timing? Thanks again.

+1
    43CC is the smallest you want to go on a 1300.

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    43CC is the smallest you want to go on a 1300.

43cc with stock timing or is that taking the 4 degree advance into account as well?

+1
    remember the head gasket adds volume

+1
    I am building a Lowell ported 1300 for another forum member. The machine is going to have a 3 degree keyway and run on super unleaded. 0side Bill performed the cylinder head repair on the trashed head and cc'ed them. He wrote 44cc's on the head which mean the chambers after repair and milling measured 44cc's. He also recommended a B9EV spark plug. If I were to guess, I think the compression will be in the 150-160 range when done and the squish should be .040" or so. See picture.

Picture of head

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information