Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile 2002 Polaris Virage TXi and 1999 Polaris Genesis 1200 Help!

Hey all,

I just bought a 2002 Polaris Virage TXi and 1999 Polaris Genesis 1200 with galvanized trailer for $2000. The Genesis was running rough and the Virage had a magnet come off the flywheel and destroy the flywheel and the stator. Here are some of my questions about both skis.

Virage:

1. The previous owner said that the ski had been running fine then had a magnet come off the flywheel. Then when he replaced the flywheel and stator, he said that the replacement did the same thing. It may have been an unlucky freak accident that he bought a bad used replacement flywheel but I'm a little concerned that something else may be the problem: bearings, seals, out of alignment, etc.. Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with Polaris skis to know how to diagnose these other problems.
    2. I purchased the MSX 140 flywheel and stator so when I put it all back together it will be as good as new if not better but I don't want to tear these expensive parts up.
    3. As best I can tell, everything else seems to be in order. I really won't know until I try and crank it up later.
    Genesis:

1. Started up when I first got it but was running rough and wouldn't idle very well. I pulled the carbs and cleaned everything out. I have ordered three carb rebuild kits and will be replacing all the old fuel lines since they are the grey tempo crap lines, familiar with these from all my Sea Doos.
    2. Steering cable was broken so I have to replace that. Any tips or pointers.
    3. Forward and reverse buttons don't do anything. Any simple fixes or things to check out. Ski is currently set to forward.
    Any tips, advice, warnings are welcome as I could use all the help I can get. The skis look great and I don't have a lot invested in them currently so hopefully I can get them both running and turn around and sell them quickly.

Thanks,
    William

Welcome to the Hulk! On your Virage TXI, did you check the CPS to make sure it didnt get damaged by any debris when the magnet came loose? Just my initial thought but others with more experience with these skis will be along shortly

I did not check that but I certainly will now. I'm gonna read the manual and figure out how to do that. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for.
    Thanks again.

Are you in TX? I remember seeing those on CL...Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    Are you in TX? I remember seeing those on CL...Houston?
    Yeah, went and picked them up last Monday. The guy and I had talked the Wednesday before that and I told him that I would buy them for $2000 when he got the titles in. As soon as he got them in I picked them up. I checked the compression in the Genesis and it was right around 125 in all three cylinders and figured it would be worth the investment and the trailer is really clean.

I'm trying to get them both running to sell before July 4th.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Sounds like you have already seen my signature links...

The PERC electric reverse not working could be electrical connection or motor problem, or it could be mechanical corrosion or jammed somewhere. Bit of a pain to work on, but doable once you get into it.

Eyeball the front crank seal when you have the Virage TXi stator removed. Look for any evidence that the crank snout or crank shaft may be wobbling, which would be a problem needing fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
    Yeah, went and picked them up last Monday. The guy and I had talked the Wednesday before that and I told him that I would buy them for $2000 when he got the titles in. As soon as he got them in I picked them up. I checked the compression in the Genesis and it was right around 125 in all three cylinders and figured it would be worth the investment and the trailer is really clean.

I'm trying to get them both running to sell before July 4th.
    I'm parting an '01 (I think) Genesis if you need hull parts. Keeping the engine and pump....most everything else will be available.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Sounds like you have already seen my signature links...

The PERC electric reverse not working could be electrical connection or motor problem, or it could be mechanical corrosion or jammed somewhere. Bit of a pain to work on, but doable once you get into it.

Eyeball the front crank seal when you have the Virage TXi stator removed. Look for any evidence that the crank snout or crank shaft may be wobbling, which would be a problem needing fixing.
    I have read just about everything I can from your links.

I checked the crank shaft/snout and don't really feel any play/wobble at all through a full rotation. I guess it is possible that it was just a bad replacement part.

Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    I'm parting an '01 (I think) Genesis if you need hull parts. Keeping the engine and pump....most everything else will be available.
    I'll let you know. I am trying to find a place to get the raised Polaris letters on the hood of the ski. I don't think those are decals that I can remove from one ski and place on another. I'll let you know if I end up needing anything on the 99 Genesis. I might replace the small front "glove" compartment latch between the seat and the steering wheel.

I also might need parts for the forward/reverse system but I don't know yet. Thanks

Here are some pics from inside the ski. Still need to clean up all the magnetic metal shavings. Those things don't want to let go. Had to pull the bendix out and clean the heck out of it too.

I plan on putting the stator and flywheel back on tomorrow unless someone has some reason I should hold off. Don't want to ruin $400 worth of parts because I am missing something.

Thanks,
    William
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000353.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	243465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000354.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	243464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000360.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	243463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000355.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	243462  

Quote Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
    I'll let you know. I am trying to find a place to get the raised Polaris letters on the hood of the ski. I don't think those are decals that I can remove from one ski and place on another. I'll let you know if I end up needing anything on the 99 Genesis. I might replace the small front "glove" compartment latch between the seat and the steering wheel.

I also might need parts for the forward/reverse system but I don't know yet. Thanks

The raised letters are called "domed" letters. I have the equipment and ability to do doming....but no friggin' time and probably won't until the winter! There are companies that do it, but it's not cheap to get the to do one-offs.

I'd probably just scrap the domed letters and stick on some nice flat vinyl decals.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information