Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 virage no spark

I have a 2000 Polaris Virage, i bought it two years ago it ran great the first summer. started running good the second summer and then after running about 20 min I was wide open and it died dead, no spittering or sputtering or nothing, just died. No spark, the fuses are good. Since then, I have done some testing (that i found on here, it was great post) and it led me to the stator. So after hearing how much a new one cost ($275) I found one on eBay it was supposedly new, stock polaris part. I got it, it was new, so i put it in. still no spark, but this time i noticed that the bilge runs every time i try to start it. I have over 11 volts at the battery when trying to start so idk. Please help

What year stator did you buy, the new stators have to be matched with the new cdi. Is the stator you bought the same as the old one, the older style?

Quote Originally Posted by crustbuster View Post
    What year stator did you buy, the new stators have to be matched with the new cdi. Is the stator you bought the same as the old one, the older style?
    There are no "old style" stators for the Virage. The bilge pump runs when the engine is running so it would likely run while cranking too.

Have you tried holding down the bilge button while cranking?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

+1 on holding the bilge button down while cranking.

Next step is to unplug and bypass the LR-505 Start/Stop module. Details via my signature links.

Thanks so much for the reply, im pulling my hair out. The stator is the exact that came out, same part number (4010172) date on the old one was 99 the new one was 04. I have tried holding the bilge button down, no spark, i have bypassed the lr-505 module still no spark (awesome thread by the way, thank you) and then i went ahead and did all the ohm test on the stator in the box not at the plug, came out good, and my cdi is giving the stator 8 volts. I didn't do the nine volt battery test though, but i did do the test on the coil i ohmed the two tabs coming out of the coil (with the black and white wires off) and i think i was supposed to get .75 ohms but i got nothing. is that right or did i read something wrong, and could the coil have went out? I know they are pretty tough.

I forgot to say on my first post, its a 700 with carbs, if that makes a difference?

+1
    Ignition coil should have the correct ohms between the two unplugged Black/White wires.

And the correct ohms between the two spark plug wires.

And near infinite ohms between the spark plug and Black/White sides.

Okay I re-checked the coil. From tab to tab that the black and white wires come off of, I have infinite ohms and I'm supposed to have .35 from plug cap to plug cap I have 8.56 and I'm supposed to have 8170, and had infinite in between the black and white side tabs and plug caps. so to me it sounds like I have a bad coil, unless I'm doing something wrong. Is there something else I should check, or just buy a new coil?

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by River_Rat View Post
    Okay I re-checked the coil.

From tab to tab that the black and white wires come off of, I have infinite ohms and I'm supposed to have .35
    Sounds bad to me

from plug cap to plug cap I have 8.56 and I'm supposed to have 8170,
    8.56K ohms is very close to 8170 ohms, so that coil side seems OK

and had infinite in between the black and white side tabs and plug caps.
    That would be correct, for the two cylinder coil

so to me it sounds like I have a bad coil, unless I'm doing something wrong. Is there something else I should check, or just buy a new coil?

Thanks
    Sounds like you need a new coil. If that is all it is, not an expensive repair

Sorry for the slow reply. I got the new coil and put it in and boom, runs great. Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it alot.

+1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information