Thread: 2002 fx140

2002 fx140

I have a 2002 fx140 with 168 hours on it and last year I was having problems only getting about 53 mph and out of the hole it acts like it is slipping? I took it to a shop and the mechanic said it was the hub ring so $800.00 later it is still the same problem. I have replaced the spark plugs, air filter, and hub ring and after the air filter I can get 63 mph but still out of the hole problems.

$800 dollars for a wear ring ?!?!?!?!?!? the plastic ones from WSM are only like dealer cost of about $90 and it only takes about a hour to install the thing. The metal ones from yamaha are somewhere in the $300 range. We dont sell the yamaha factory original ones for that reason.

I am tired of seeing people getting screwed by crooked dealers.

As for your slipping out of the hole, the revs jump up really high and it slowly moves then it picks up speed and finally takes off. If so thats cavitation, kinda feels like a clutch slipping on a car or motorcycle. If its Cavitation then its gonna either be an impeller or the wear ring that they supposedly replaced. The pump housing could also be sucking air somewhere if its not sealed up properly. There is also a piece of packing that if it gets left off or is worn out or blew out it will also cause cavitation, even with a brand new wear ring and impeller.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan View Post
    I have a 2002 fx140 with 168 hours on it and last year I was having problems only getting about 53 mph and out of the hole it acts like it is slipping? I took it to a shop and the mechanic said it was the hub ring so $800.00 later it is still the same problem. I have replaced the spark plugs, air filter, and hub ring and after the air filter I can get 63 mph but still out of the hole problems.
    ivan; I don't know what your expecting, but the FX-140 is not known for hole shot like a supercharged ski. The air filters on those things are notorious for quickly getting clogged with oil and robbing performance; you should swap that out for a Riva Velocity Stack Kit with Power Filter, and be done with that stock set up. If you leave it stock, in my experience the ski will quickly go back down in speed (we owned 2 of these models).

As for cavitation, inspect your impeller carefully for signs of damage; you may have injested a rock or something and dinged it up. It only takes a little rock in there to screw things up, but your expensive mechanic should have seen that when he was in there. Honestly, if you paid $800 then you owe it to yourself to take it back there and demand a solution!

TunedFX140; I'm not sure exactly where that packing is you are describing, but that's a good tip; I was not aware of that.

Thread Information