pump shaft too short after engine removal

1996 Kaw 750 STS. Hi all! I removed the engine from a friends ski to overhaul top end, but when I sat the engine back in, the pump shaft doesn,t reach ?!! Its around 1 to 1 1/8 inches from meshing. Its centered with crank coupler and just starts into rubber damper but does not go any further with motor mounts lined up. What happened? Will pump shaft slide? I tried to move it gently but I wanted to make sure before I broke anything! Thanks for help!
    Bud

+1
    I just did top overhauls on a pair of '95 STSs and the shaft was too short on one of them. The coupling was torn up, so this had been a problem for a while. I could not get the engine to slide back far enough, and I also noticed that it was very difficult to get a socket extension onto the right front screw on the flame arrestor. I measured the distance from the rear bulkhead to the engine mounts, and they were the same for both 'Skis. Who knows?

Mine was only off 3/8". I ended up solving the problem by making a 3/8" nylon spacer and inserting this into the impeller, which was an aftermarket impeller.

I looked at the engine mounting plate and mine was on correctly. I believe it's possible to put the engine on the plate backwards, so take a look at that.

Thanks for the insight, but the engine plate wasn't removed. I simply took out the engine, overhauled the top end, tried to reinstall it. Not working out! The old rubber coupler was in great shape so I'm sure alignment was good before engine went south! The only explanation I can imagine is that the pump shaft some how got pushed back. I didn't take the little cover off the coupler before I removed the engine, but hindsight is always
    20/20 right? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. If anyone has this model and could measure length of shaft from front of coupler to where it enters the hull, that would be awesome! Thanks for help and advice.
    Bud

+1
    From the front of the drive coupling fingers to the front face of the bearing housing is 5-1/8" on mine. There should be some polished surface on the driveshaft sticking through the seal.

Climb under the 'Ski and make sure the driveshaft is actually inside the impeller splines and hasn't slipped beside it.

Thanks a lot Steve45. Thats great information. I'll check it out and let you know. I can't wait to get this thing finished. Thabks again!
    Bud

Ok are you talking where the shaft goes into the bearing, or to the bolt in flange? If you measured to where the shaft actually goes in, I'm way short. 4 9/16.
    Thanks
    Bud

+1
    The very front of the bearing housing, not where the bolts are, but where the driveshaft comes out.

Thread Information