Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Exclamation Something to think about when buying fuel for your pwc!

Since a lot of guys have done mods to there ski that now require 93 octain fuel or higher for there ski now. Here is my thoughts the price of gas has gotten so high most service stations sell 10 to 1 ratio regular over premimum fuel. I talked to a service station guy that told me they bought 4-6 tankers of regular to every tanker of premimum. The premimum fuel you buy may have been refined 4-8 weeks ago or even longer. With that thought I try to purchase all my pwc fuel from service stations that pump a lot of fuel everyday. At least my chances of not getting old fuel are a little better. What is your opinion on how to be shur you are getting fresh fuel and not some that has been sitting for several weeks. Tommy Jordan

While nothing is absolute, gas stations get checked through out the year to make sure they are putting out the octane they have advertised. There are extremely heavy fines should the actual octane rating be lower. More than likely the gas you get is actually slightly higher than advertised to prevent anything like that from happening.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    While nothing is absolute, gas stations get checked through out the year to make sure they are putting out the octane they have advertised. There are extremely heavy fines should the actual octane rating be lower. More than likely the gas you get is actually slightly higher than advertised to prevent anything like that from happening.
    I think the octain test for service stations is to be shur they are not selling a lesser octain grade and claming it to be the higher grade. What I am talking about is fuel that has lost its octain due to shelf life time. Tommy Jordan

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    I use ethanol free 90! FTW!

+1
    You dont have to worry about gas losing its octane rating. Hell, some of the tanks at work have been sitting for weeks before they are trucked to the stations. Our AVGAS 100LL was filled back in December and hasnt lost any octane rating at all. Not sure where you heard this info, but its simply not true. Unless, of course, the gasoline is being stored in a clear container in direct sunlight. Then you would see the gas "go bad".

I work at one of the largest fuel terminals in North America, so im not just pulling this out of my ass.

+1
    And who's to say that the evaporate is octane? I haven't researched it, but if the fumes that are released don't contain octane, the older fuel would have a higher octane rating!

+1
    Vapor, not fumes

The octane will not be higher because, yes, part of what evaporates is the oxygenates that are used to boost octane rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrunner View Post
    Vapor, not fumes

The octane will not be higher because, yes, part of what evaporates is the oxygenates that are used to boost octane rating.
    so when the fuel tanks build up pressure from the temp changes in our ski1s, and you open the fuel cap, that woosh of fumes/vapor what exactly is this???
    so your saying the fuel loses octane when this is released?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    so when the fuel tanks build up pressure from the temp changes in our ski1s, and you open the fuel cap, that woosh of fumes/vapor what exactly is this???
    so your saying the fuel loses octane hen this is released?
    No, im NOT saying that it will lose octane, per say. The many components of gasoline is what is evaporating. Im thinking its just the aromatics along with the tetraethyl, olifins, toluenes and whatnot. Sure there is most likely some change in the octane and other characteristics of a tank(as your example) but on such a small scale that it would be hardly noticable, if at all.

Anyways, what i am saying is that the gasoline evaporates and goes bye bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrunner View Post
    No, im NOT saying that it will lose octane, per say. The many components of gasoline is what is evaporating. Im thinking its just the aromatics along with the tetraethyl, olifins, toluenes and whatnot. Sure there is most likely some change in the octane and other characteristics of a tank(as your example) but on such a small scale that it would be hardly noticable, if at all.

Anyways, what i am saying is that the gasoline evaporates and goes bye bye.
    ok, cool, and thanks for explaining that. I occasionally release the fuel cap and the "vapors" to relieve the pressure in the tank when the ski is sitting, especially after being in the sun to the garage...thanks...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information