Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

97 GP1200 top speed, and other questions????

hey all!

So i just bought a 97 gp1200 and i was curious as to what is normal top speed with a stock ski, and also top speed with bolt-on mods.

mine already had some mods when i bought it and the guy gave me a riva ride plate, and longer aluminum nozzle. it has an aftermarket intake grate and impeller i dont know what types.

one more thing... what is the most effective way to reduce porposing? if one thing could be done what is the best.

thanks guys! looking foreward to learning more about the GP world.

-kevin

+1
    Bone stock 97 GP1200 should do about 55mph. With the typical mods, you should hit around 60mph.
    Ride plate angle is the easiest thing to do to reduce porpoising. Shim the back down. But that scrubs off top end speed.
    If it doesn't already have it, you should replace the plasitc trim tabs with some aluminum trims tabs. Also a scoop style intake grate helps to keep the ski sucked down to the water and reduce porpoising.

Thanks for the info I just realized one of my stock tabs is ripped off... That's no good, and as far as the grate I already have an aftermarket one installed. I have a Riva rideplate I'll install tomorrow and test run it to see if it needs shimming. Im seeing 53mph as is with two people and a half tank, with a nozzle, impeller, and intake grate.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the ski! I just got my first, it's a '97 GP1200 too.. fun!

53 on a gp1200 with 2 people is good numbers..
    Additions of a grate and plate along with replacing those tabs , may not make the ski run faster top end.. what they will do is make it handle and ride better in rougher conditions than glass (realworld)..
    read the sticky on GP mods posted by PISTONWASH...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-GP-(65u)-mods

Once again thanks for the info. I have the Riva rideplate to install today and test. Also I'm going to adjust the sponsons from full up where they have been to about half way and see how she rides. I'll post the results and some pics soon!

-kevin

I switched out my stock ride plate with the Riva and the ride isn't better... But I did notice my tabs are missing... Could that cause proposing? Cauz it's bad like I can't even hook up on flat ass calm water...

need both tabs to help the bounce ..
    until you start hunting for speed (lots of mods) shim that plate down with 1 washer in the front and three or four in the back (washer in front is to drop it level with the rear of the grate,use if needed)
    the longer 97 o/e plate factory will make the bounce go away also if it is shimmed in the rear...
    others may tell you different with the 1200, but until you have the hp to make that pump suck that ski into the water, force the nose down with shims for a safer ride..

Thanks I'll try that next. Do you know where I can get some decent tabs... Not the shitty plastics.

+1
    If you know a machinist, you can use these CAD drawings to make some.97 GP Trim Tabs CAD.pdf

Or you could try getting a hold of a guy named George Kennedy. He made mine. His email is [email protected]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information