Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX150 Oil Overfill, Cleanup- 6150 RPM 47MPH, ECU Reset

Hello, this post is a follow to "MSX110 Top Speed" thread, which has basically died

I was guilty of oil overfill, corrected that, removed "breather" tube from oil resevoir to the air intake, tipped it toward one end and let about 4 tablespoons of oil run out. Washed it with gasoline, soapy water, dried and reinstalled. Reset the ECU by inserting lanyard, removed main power relay plug for 1 minute, reinstalled and waited till I got to the lake.

Started and idled in the water for about 4 minutes, up to 2500 rpm for couple of minutes, up to 3800 rpm (verge of planing) for couple minutes, then up to 4900 rpm for couple, then to 6150 wide open throttle @ 47mph for 5 minutes, then varied. Would not pass beyond 6200 RPM. Rode around for awhile, rode to spillway of Gavins Point Dam Yankton SD and filmed the Might Missouri's all time record release (spectacular)! Walked back over the crest of dam, followed ECU reset procedure described at the beginning. Started out, hit throttle and got big momentary boost, heard the boost valve release pressure, then check engine code lights. Tried that several times, but met with overboost every time.
    Pulled the ski, came home and am setting up a pressure gauge to determine opening pressure of the wastegate actuator. Will do that and check back with you folks to see what your thoughts are and let you know what I find.

For those who wonder: 1) I pulled the 100 degree intercooler hose ell off and it did have a medium light oil residue, felt the inside of the intercooler inlet, no detectable oil, felt the "fins" inside the intercooler and inserted a clean white cloth with twisting motion into the same- no visible oil residue. 2) I pulled the boost/air temp sensor post intercooler, no oil.

I greatly appreciated your comments, Thanks!

Update:
    I used a 30lb water pressure gauge to test wastegate opening. At 5 1/2 to 6 lbs of pressure the actuator rod BEGAN to move. Suspecting an inaccurate gauge, I tried the same test on the MSX110 ski also.... with exactly the same reading. However- this ski is also having some speed/boost issues (as per my original post). I have another 30 lb gauge, I am now going to try it, have no gauges in lower capacity.

By the way- the 110 has the original wastegate solenoid valve whereas the 150 has the update Pierburg valve.

Im having same problem with the over boosting. Have you fixed yours yet? what did you find to be the problem?

Remove entire intake and clean it. Remove both MAP sensors and replace.

If it still won't run, send ECU to Desparado for re-boot.
    K447 comment; I think he means reflash, not reboot.

If it is running poorly because of overfill, then it is at the same time, overfueling the motor and gas is going in the oil, so you have to change that too.

Oil is in the inter-cooler, so if you want to correct it 100%, disconnect that and clean in place. It is a pain, but it can be done.

Oil should just be barely visible on stick and no more.
    Last edited by K447; 06-13-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Reboot vs reflash

Ok thanks i will take a look. it ran fine the first time i rode (test drive) it and then the second time ( after i bought them) all these problems popped up. lol. go figure

The oil should Barely be touching the stick when cold or warm?

100% new to the these machines

where is the cheapest place to get map sensor ? I heard they are the same ones used in a Cobalt SS turbo car is this true?

I want to get the things running before i send off the ECU's as best as possible being i just bought them i have no clue what all is wrong and i dont want to send off the ECU and get it back to only screw it up again because of bad sensors or something.

Also the manual talks about removing the main relay to clear codes. wouldn't this be the same as a reboot?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You can find some Weber engine info here;
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....10-and-msx-150

+1
    Checking oil level on MSX 110/150:
    run for around 30 seconds from cold,
    pull dipstick,wipe,insert do NOT screw,
    the oil should be no more than 1cm on the stick,
    even barely touching the stick from cold is ok,
    it will rise to about a third on the stick at running temperature,

As I understand it, there are certain error codes that don't clear with a reset... like the ones triggered commonly after a rollover. For these, you need to hook the ECU up to the Polaris Digital Wrench and have them physically cleared. This is a service Desperado can do... in addition to reflashing even better settings (upgrade).

Cheers!

I think the level is ok now i think it was over filled before i got it. So right now taking off all the intake stuff. Is there anything thing special about removing the intake manifold and the throttle body ?

Also the intercooler trying to remove the fins inside but cant get the seal/metal part with the round holes off. Im bending it trying to pry off...... Also i heard you can remove the intercooler through the front by removing some steering stuff. I just spent like 3 hours trying to do that and got no where but a headache. even one time i got it so stuck in there i had to get on top an kick it with my foot (dont recommend this at all) any ways i got it back where it mounts but its backwards. I called it the night.
    I did look in side of it before all of this and there is alot of gunk in there. So it has to be cleaned.

The throttle body i open the flap and see a lot of gunk down in the bottom which needs to be cleaned also. anything i need to know about removing the throttle body and intake manifold ? do i need any gaskets?

OK the black one
    I tested the waste gate solenoid yea it was bad. it wouldnt open. Also i dont even think it was the right solenoid for this jet ski. The guy i bought it from is a lawnmower tech. and well looks like he pulled the solenoid off something else. Granted it did work fine when i test drove it to buy lol but even the mounting bracket was wrong and wrong bolts any ways i took the good one off the red jet ski which will be out for awhile. so at least i think i have one good ski for awhile.
    thanks to you guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information