2000 Virage Fuel Problem

I recently purchased a 2000 virage that is having what I think are fuel problems. It's a little difficult to start and seems to have issues idling, like it's only running off of the throttle.

I read the service manual and being new to watercraft, I am still confused.

After cleaning out the fuel separator element, which was nasty, I've cleaned out the carburetor. The carburetor and the filter screen within it were not that dirty.

This ski still has the gray fuel lines, which I've read need to be replaced. How many feet of replacement fuel line should I purchase?

When cranking with the gas line off the carburetor, I only see a slight mist of gas coming out of the hose. In the manual it says I should see a steady stream at idle. How am I supposed to get it to idle with the gas line off and not start a fire?

What is the best way to troubleshoot the fuel pump and where is it located? The manual eluded to the fact that it was under the intake on the rear cylinder for an SLH, but didn't go into detail on the virage. Is it in the tank?

+1
    what model virage and i presume it's a two cylinder engine ???
    The fuel pump is built into the carbs and if you seporator was plugged theres a good chance the pickup tube in the tank is also plugged and also the fuel selector switch can plug up also

Yes, it is the two cylinder. I am away from it right now. I know it is not a TX and it only says Virage on the side.

Do I need to pull the tank to get to the pickup tube?

+1
    i'm not sure on the virage ,try pulling the line from the fuel switch tank and blow back into them to see if there plugged

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Also inspect inside the fuel tank for debris. Fuel tank needs to be clean.

I think you can loosen the fuel tank straps and slide it forward enough to get at the fuel sender. Oil tank hoses may need to be loosened or the oil tank lifted up out of the way.

Somewhere on here a long time ago I documented correcting an oil leak that involved getting the oil tank out of a Virage, and another repair of the electric fuel pump in a fuel injected Virage TXi (which is inside the tank, where your fuel sender is located). Those threads have more info on how to get at the fuel sender.

I've replaced all of the lines and cleaned everything else. There wasn't any blockage in the pickup tube or anywhere else in the system. Something is still wrong.

There is a hose that is not documented in the manual, it runs from the carburetor and connects below the intake. With this hose removed and cranking I see a mist of gas. Is this a return line for air/fuel that is not being used and should I only see a mist there?

What do I need to try next?

I bypassed the filter and on off valve with a hose from the tank straight to the carburetor. Still not getting enough fuel to run, so the valve must be good.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by piemat View Post
    I've replaced all of the lines and cleaned everything else. There wasn't any blockage in the pickup tube or anywhere else in the system. Something is still wrong.

There is a hose that is not documented in the manual, it runs from the carburetor and connects below the intake. With this hose removed and cranking I see a mist of gas...
    That would be the pulse hose that connects the crankcase to the fuel pump in the carburetor. The crankcase pressure/vacuum pulses power the fuel pump.

Recheck that you have not crossed up a hose connection to the carb(s).

I replaced on hose at a time and followed the diagram. I also have since double checked. Everything is where it should be. I guess the next step is the carb.?

The diaphragm and everything looked ok to me inside. Should I go ahead and get a rebuild kit anyway?

Should I try to adjust it myself?

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    o'kay 'll do my best.its a single carb with an accl pump correct?one way to check the fuel hose routing.the fittings that run left to right are the fuel in and out.the fitting ponited towards the rear is the fuel pump.f/p goes to crankcase.the carb fitting at the rear of the carb low on the body is the fuel in.the one above it is the return.lines going to tank,when you blow into the 2 lines one will guggle fuel in the tank one won't.the one that doesn't is the return.if the carb needs looking at i can do that.

Thread Information