Thread: hull

hull

I read that jumping waves can damaged the hull. How big,hard ect. do you have to jump for this to happen?

+1
    Very subjective and lots of variables involved. Make, model and year boat, height of jump, weight of rider, depth of water (your thrust nozzle may hit bottom when you land), and the angle at which you land. I've jumped 12 foot waves in racing conditions, and I got hurt more than the boat (gpr). They have extreemly strong hulls. On the other hand, I've cracked a hull in 4 foot chop on an old '97 gp whoes hulls are known to be weak. You can strain yourself on small waves and do fine on big ones depending on your technique.

One of the techniques to protecting your hull (and make it easiest on the rider), is to land tail first. The way you do that is hold your throttle speed through the wave, and it is in some cases better to be accellerating through the top of the wave. This allows your bow to raise up and your hull to land stern first. If you decellerate while going up a wave, the hull has a tendency to land flatter making it harder on the hull and the rider.

If you decellerate on a big wave, your hull will land flat, and you will feel like you jumped off a house onto concrete. This type of riding is really hard on your motor mounts as well as the hull.

There is no half stepping in wave jumping. If you want to go for it, then GO FOR IT.

Pick on the small stuff first and get the technique down...........

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Very subjective and lots of variables involved. Make, model and year boat, height of jump, weight of rider, depth of water (your thrust nozzle may hit bottom when you land), and the angle at which you land. I've jumped 12 foot waves in racing conditions, and I got hurt more than the boat (gpr). They have extreemly strong hulls. On the other hand, I've cracked a hull in 4 foot chop on an old '97 gp whoes hulls are known to be weak. You can strain yourself on small waves and do fine on big ones depending on your technique.

One of the techniques to protecting your hull (and make it easiest on the rider), is to land tail first. The way you do that is hold your throttle speed through the wave, and it is in some cases better to be accellerating through the top of the wave. This allows your bow to raise up and your hull to land stern first. If you decellerate while going up a wave, the hull has a tendency to land flatter making it harder on the hull and the rider.

If you decellerate on a big wave, your hull will land flat, and you will feel like you jumped off a house onto concrete. This type of riding is really hard on your motor mounts as well as the hull.

There is no half stepping in wave jumping. If you want to go for it, then GO FOR IT.

Pick on the small stuff first and get the technique down...........
    +1 you have to land tail first on big waves. My avatar pic is about a 12-14 ft wave during hurricane Katrina. If you land flat on something like that your sure to hurt yourself or your ski. Have fun.

99 XL1200...................thanks guys but I doubt very much I do any kind of jumps like your's. At least now I know the ins and outs. Thankx

Thread Information