Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1

Virage TXi custom rebuild

Ok guys I started my "project" back in late 2006 with an 02 Virage 700 that I bought from a rental place in OBX NC for $200. It had no engine but was otherwise complete.
    I also bought a heavily wrecked 00 Genesis, complete for $200 from another seller in NC. This one came with a crappy trailer that didn't make the 1.5 hr trip back home. Had to go back the next day and get it.

The Genesis 1200 DFI was totally rebuilt in 2008-2009 and never installed in the hull untill last summer (2010) after I bought a house with garage.
    While seeking perfection, and replacing 99% of the nuts and bolts with genuine OEM Polaris parts (this i'm sure has cost well over $1000) I decided my hull was not suitable for the awesome job on did on the engine and everything else. (Keep in mind I have never actually ran this thing)

I just bought the hull that Retro was parting out in an attempt to have a solid starting platform. I have pretty much made up my mind that I want to go full tilt, or as much so as I can go on a DFI engine.
    With that said I am planning on driving back down to OBX and dropping off the empty hull to get scrubbed inside, and re gelcoated top and bottom.
    I am going with a black bottom, and (if available) a dark red on top. If I can gelcoat plastic, I will also have them do the hood and console in black too, otherwise I will prime and paint it. Probably matte black at that point to match the sheen of an aftermarket seat cover.
    Decals will be as follows - Lower hull "Polaris" will come from a 2002 Virage I. The upper decals front and rear will come from a 2001 Virage TXi. The hood "Polaris" and star will come from a 2004 Virage I since they are brushed aluminum.

Mats will be hydroturf black and red marble in a diamond cut as seen on the MSX.

The rubrails that came on the hull I got from Retro are actually in near perfect condition. The grime wiped right off, and there wasn't much there. I will be buying a new front bumper for it though. $18 new anyway.
    I also have new gaskets and seals for the mirrors, front bucket, hood, glovebox door and bottom. I also have a brand new freedom seat that I adapted the rear hinge to. Got that sucker on ebay for $87 shipped - 3 yrs ago lol. I will probably rock the silver for a short time untill I get it recovered. It just might look good with the red and black though.

Inside is the rebuilt 1200 DFI, a brand new fuel pump, rebuilt starter, and new TPS. The exhaust will be of the 700 design, IE: no baffles. This is routed through a TDR water box that I won brand new on ebay 3 yrs ago for $27. =)

I have rebuilt the pump with new seals and bearings. Using the stator from the Genesis as its SS. I bought all new bushings, and bolts to rebuild the steering and reverse, as well as a brand new pump cone, steering nozzle, and reverse bucket. a 6 deg wedge is in place as well.
    I am thinking about a NuJet 7.5 impeller as well. Im still on the fence. I ordered a new wear ring as well, but it has yet to arrive, so - while im in there...

I will post pictures after I get the hull back since right now mine looks like garbage IMO

Anyone have any input on my color choices, or any better ideas? Anything else I can do under the hood to increase performance that I have not yet done?

FWIW - I was quoted over the phone last week $800-1000 to regelcoat the entire ski. I have since taken pictures and sent them over to the place. I am waiting to hear back on a quote, and timeframe. Is this the norm price range?

+1
    Sounds awesome, but I don't think you're going to pull a NuJet 7.5.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    Sounds awesome, but I don't think you're going to pull a NuJet 7.5.
    What about the 7?
    Or would I be better with a different brand? I like the low price of the NuJet and they seem to have great reviews.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Which ride plate are you going to use?

Virage bat-wing or Ocean Pro?

Stock intake grate?

One performance tweak is to add a second cold air flex snorkel under the front shroud. So you would have one on each side.

Has the EMM been looked at by DFI?

MSX 140 flywheel?

+1
    Going with the bat wing, as I have not found an ocean pro plate. From what I understand, the batwing is decent.
    I think I am going to pick up a scooper intake grate. Its $85 on ebay, and seems worth the cost.
    This hull has 2 air intakes, one on each side. So does my 700 hull. Both 2002.
    The EMM has not been looked at. I am going to try and start it with the EMM I have and go from there. The injectors are the ones that go with this EMM and are in the proper spot. I also got another (with injectors) with the new hull so that helps ease my mind.
    The flywheel is a replacement non MSX unit. I broke the other one while trying to remove the housing at one point. This was before I read about the magnet issue. I'll see how it does, but it doesn't make sense to swap it out just yet.

I am also swapping out the 00 style throttle bodies for the 02+ style with the updated TPS.

All very good questions / information - keep em coming!

+1
    i have Nice used r&d intake grates for 65.00 shipped to you

+1
    Lugs I might take you up on that.
    I'm working with SpeedWorx / HotSeat to see what they have to offer. Let me see what they have kicking around, and I'll get back to you.
    So far I got sponsons on check!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by UnityRacing View Post
    What about the 7?
    Or would I be better with a different brand? I like the low price of the NuJet and they seem to have great reviews.
    Yes, if using the NuJet, the 7.0 would be the proper choice. The NuJet is known for being a great top speed prop, and with some massaging, can perform everywhere throughout the rpm range. That being said though, with the DI being your motor of choice, and the limited amount of mods you can do in terms of building an all out speed demon, maybe a Skat Trak Swirl would be a better choice? They're a great all-around prop with unmatched grip down low and throughout. I think Skat calls for a 17/24 R Swirl in the TXI 1200's.

+1
    After months of hard work I'mfinally starting to get somewhere.
    This hull started out as a plain all white hull with bronze hood and console.
    The bottom was filled and sanded smooth before getting new gelcoat, as was the top. The only thing painted here is the hood and console, and there is actually 2 coats of gellcoat under the primer/paint. I painted a patch of black under the steering system so you dont see red through the console. The seat is a brand new "Freedom" seat modified for a hinge and under seat storage. Decals are NOS Polaris. Sponsons are Hot Seat. I have some new "Polaris" decals in white to put on the lower hull as well.

I still have alot to do. Blowsion billet fuel cap and neck are enroute, as is a rental alignment tool. Kind of at a stand still for the moment. Still need to find an impeller, intake grate, and ride plate.

These pics are a teaser LOL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0216.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	254588Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0220.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	254586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0217.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	254584Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0219.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	254583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0218.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	254587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0213.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	254585

+1
    Oh, and I couldn't figure out how to rivet the rub rails back on, so I bolted them on with some stainless hardware and nylock nuts. I had one hell of a time getting the old tape off, and actually messed my thumb up pretty good on the right side one. The edge caught, and shoved up under my nail. Worst pain I have felt in a VERY long time. Needless to say that side is on hold for a while. I did find some 3M outdoor tape that is holding very strong. Appears to be the same as OEM.

Another note - the shop filled in all the little holes. I had to redrill all mounting holes for the rubrails, bumpers, hood, console, emm, and HIN plates. So thats why I have no HIN in the pic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information