Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow vehicles

+1

Tow vehicles

Does anyone out there pull their trailer with a V6 Ford?
    I found a smoking deal on a used 03 ext cab automatic but I am worried about how it will pull my double trailer with 2 GPRs? I have to get rid of my Dodge Ram since it costs me more in gas each month than insurance.
    Any advise or know issues with this truck would be helpful.

+1
    Kirk call me and I will look up the TSBs for you.

v6

Im my opinion your better off staying away from the V6. It doenst get very good mileage either. I hear reports of 15-16 mpg.....with a load of two GPRs I bet your looking at 8-9 mpg.

Do some research on fuel mileage for yourself but guys here are unhappy with the V6. Power is OK for a 6 but fuel mileage makes you wish you had a v8.

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    i had a rental f-150 with the 4.6l v-8 4 door and it pulled my rxt just fine - and my brother-in- law the v-6 150 ext 99 model and it pulled a lot of crap but his was a standard and he got alright gas milage

+1
    i used to tow my double with the wife's chevy venture. it had no problems at all

+1
    Let me make this simple for you. The 4.2 v6 is a underpowered, gas drinking, pile that should not be used in any truck. I just got rid of mine to get an 04 quad cab Ram. The Ford v6 is way underpowered to tow with even if it is a standard. The best mpg I ever got was 19 on the highway with a fresh tune up and the wind at my back. This was not towing. I averaged 12-13 mpg when towing, it was bad. Pulling any double trailer out of the water was very hard on that truck, with two 4 stroke Seadoos it almost did not make it. The v8 fords are not that bad at towing, but the dodge is a lot better at it, you just have to live with the poor MPG.

I have spent a lot of time using an 05 Tundra and it is a very nice vehicle for towing and would average 17 on the highway towing. I would have purchased one, but they are like gold here in Ohio.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by birel33 View Post
    The v8 fords are not that bad at towing, but the dodge is a lot better at it, you just have to live with the poor MPG.

I have spent a lot of time using an 05 Tundra and it is a very nice vehicle for towing and would average 17 on the highway towing. I would have purchased one, but they are like gold here in Ohio.
    I'm getting rid of a dodge because I am sick of the gas mileage. It has been a good truck, but man, I mainly drive city and the best I can get is 11mpg, 16 hwy.
    I'f I got it, it would not pull the skis much; I usually use the wifes 4.0 Laredo.
    I like the Tundra, but damn, they are expensive. I'm looking @ a supercrew with the 4.6 as well.

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    I'm getting rid of a dodge because I am sick of the gas mileage. It has been a good truck, but man, I mainly drive city and the best I can get is 11mpg, 16 hwy.
    I'f I got it, it would not pull the skis much; I usually use the wifes 4.0 Laredo.
    I like the Tundra, but damn, they are expensive. I'm looking @ a supercrew with the 4.6 as well.

4.6 is good -but the 5.4 is better but the 4.6 has a lot of after market parts for it to go faster and mpg

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by superduty View Post
    4.6 is good -but the 5.4 is better but the 4.6 has a lot of after market parts for it to go faster and mpg
    You the 2nd person I have heard that from.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information