Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1

Checking and Adjusting Timing on red domestic engines?

Hi Guys.

Is there a good thread on here detailing the procedure for checking and adjusting timing? In particular, with the domestic engines.

I read the shop manual and it is confusing..
    Thanks.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Not sure.

So I'll bump this up and hope someone does know.

+1
    Here's how I understand how to check dynamic timing:
    The manual will state the degrees of ignition timing before top dead center (BTDC) at a specific RPM (3,000 for our machines). There is also a table that lists this with a column showing the BTDC in terms of thousandths of an inch or mm.

To do this you'll need a timing light and a dial indicator you can insert in the plug hole.

1) Remove the spark plugs, the stator cover inspection plug, and the driveshaft coupler shroud

2) Find TDC by putting the dial indicator in the MAG hole and rotate the coupler counter clockwise until the dial stops moving in one direction and starts to move in reverse. Slightly rotate the crank in each direction until you're sure you've found the flat spot of TDC.

3) According to my Clymers manual your ski should have 18* of timing at 3,000 RPM. This equates to 2.07mm (0.0815") BTDC.

4) Zero your dial indicator at TDC. Now, rotate the coupler clockwise until you've gone about 2.25mm (0.0885"). Stop and rotate the coupler counter clockwise until the indicator reaches 2.07mm (0.0815"). The reason you go past the BTDC point then back to it is to ensure you've eliminated any bearing end play and the piston is firmly setting at the BTDC point.

5) In the flywheel inspection hole, use a white-out pen and mark a point on the flywheel that is right in line with the timing reference point on the stator housing.

6) Connect the timing light to the MAG spark plug wire (put the plugs back in....obviously), connect a flush kit or back the ski in the water.

7) Start the ski and hold the engine right at 3,000 RPM. Shine the timing light in the inspection hole and see if your mark on the flywheel lines up with the reference point.

The domestic engines also have a way to set static timing. But, K447 will have to hit that one as I've never done that procedure. Follow the steps above and report your results back here. Specifically, if the marks don't line up we'll need to know if it was coming before or after the reference point. That will tell us what adjustments need to be made to the magnet holder to correct the problem.

KJ

+1
    i use a timing light

I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1
    Exactly what I was looking for....thanks! I'll give it a shot and report results. Also, if anyone wants to chime in with the static adjustment, that would help too.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    Here's how I understand how to check dynamic timing:
    The manual will state the degrees of ignition timing before top dead center (BTDC) at a specific RPM (3,000 for our machines). There is also a table that lists this with a column showing the BTDC in terms of thousandths of an inch or mm.

To do this you'll need a timing light and a dial indicator you can insert in the plug hole.

1) Remove the spark plugs, the stator cover inspection plug, and the driveshaft coupler shroud

2) Find TDC by putting the dial indicator in the MAG hole and rotate the coupler counter clockwise until the dial stops moving in one direction and starts to move in reverse. Slightly rotate the crank in each direction until you're sure you've found the flat spot of TDC.

3) According to my Clymers manual your ski should have 18* of timing at 3,000 RPM. This equates to 2.07mm (0.0815") BTDC.

4) Zero your dial indicator at TDC. Now, rotate the coupler clockwise until you've gone about 2.25mm (0.0885"). Stop and rotate the coupler counter clockwise until the indicator reaches 2.07mm (0.0815"). The reason you go past the BTDC point then back to it is to ensure you've eliminated any bearing end play and the piston is firmly setting at the BTDC point.

5) In the flywheel inspection hole, use a white-out pen and mark a point on the flywheel that is right in line with the timing reference point on the stator housing.

6) Connect the timing light to the MAG spark plug wire (put the plugs back in....obviously), connect a flush kit or back the ski in the water.

7) Start the ski and hold the engine right at 3,000 RPM. Shine the timing light in the inspection hole and see if your mark on the flywheel lines up with the reference point.

The domestic engines also have a way to set static timing. But, K447 will have to hit that one as I've never done that procedure. Follow the steps above and report your results back here. Specifically, if the marks don't line up we'll need to know if it was coming before or after the reference point. That will tell us what adjustments need to be made to the magnet holder to correct the problem.

KJ

+1
    just need a timing light and make sure your good on the low end and you end up where you need to be on the high end

+1
    Is the actual 18* (.081 BTDC) supposed to line up with the 18 hash mark on the flywheel?

Because I'm only getting 8 on the hash lines.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Is the actual 18* (.081 BTDC) supposed to line up with the 18 hash mark on the flywheel?

Is this a normal or high start flywheel?

High start CDI?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post

I'm not really sure. I don't recall seeing #'s on my 780, only marks. That's why I suggested just putting a white pen mark in line with the reference point.

KJ

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Is this a normal or high start flywheel?

High start CDI?
    Stock 97 SLTX flywheel. Not sure if it's a high start??? (part #4011089)

Updated stator and CDI kit. (part #2873091)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information