Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy broken spark plug, Ultra LX

Unfortunately for me as KAWASUCKI wont honor responsibility for ther idiocy of gorrilla tightening the spark plugs when they built my Ultra. I have about 10 hours on my ski but my being the maintenance freak I am, decided to change the oil and original spark plugs. 1 2 3 m ready for last but worst for me. OH SNAP wtf! ! Begin frustration. Well after having to drill out the porcelain center and carefully lower and insert a not so easy out, I cant seem to get any tool down deep enough and grip the easy out. Does anyone make a tool, pliers vice grip? ?? So not to have to pull the head? Help please.

+1
    Yamaha has had trouble with some of the spark plugs rusting in place because the engine usually stops with the exhaust valve on that cylinder open, which allows moisture in from the exhaust system.

+1
    if you were a maintenance freak you would have removed the plugs from day one and applied antiseize lol in all seriousness you are about three years too late joining here to know of this very common and we tell people all the time. some choose to ignore and think it wont happen to them others take it onboard and do what was advised. good luck if you have tried all the common tools and its still stuck the head will have to come off believe me they get stuck so tight from the rust on the threads as explained in the post above. most tools expand the plug threads which makes it so much harder to remove.

Guess didnt catch the 10 hours if that. This is something i was completeley unaware of as an issue. I was never advised by the now defunct dealer nor was ther any information about it in my manuals. As far as Rust goes, ther is absolutely no rust. Ski has been doused in wd40 from before its first site of waterand yes under the rubber plug covers. Engine flushed n blown out. Thanks for ur derogatory comments but Yes i m a maintenance freak and take care of my toys above and beyond recomendations. The goons that put it together over tighten them. No rust on the other three either. Ive had about 7 kawi standups from the original 300 to the 08 800SX, Yamahas, Sea Doos and even a Suzuki Wet Bike if u even know what that is. I built every motor from dirt bikes to Jet Engines, not to tout my abilities but dude u were out of line. Thanks for the better part of ur advice but i think ill continu my search for a tool or i will have something made b 4 i give in to pulling the Head on a 10 hour ski.

+1
    dude sorry you took the advise the wrong way and they certainly werent derogatory, if you have been around marine engines for that long then you would have used antiseize before then.. the skis have a tendancy to condensate from the waterbox back up through the exhaust to your spark plug electrodes no amount of wd will fix that. plus steel in aluminium head causes galvanic corossion (miss match of metals) thats why they also stick. heck before i even put my new ski in the water i removed the plugs and applied the antiseize as stated here time and time again they are dry from the factory and you are not the first to have to remove the head to retreive the rest of the plug and you sure wont be the last, unfortunatly its not till someone gets into trouble that they then join the forum to fix the problem but thats how it goes. nice to hear you are a maintenance freak as with these skis you need to be real anal. goodluck on your removal. maybe worth your while to troll the rest of the site for other issues and fixes that wont be in your manual or in your now defunct dealers knowledge base. btw try a socket and extension on the end of your easyout if that was your original question.

Thanks for the apology. I have not been the marine industry ever other than my personal and my friends stuff. The last skis i had were Sea Doos and a couple Kawasaki stand ups in Vegas. Never once since the 300 stand up have i had an issue and that includes two MasterCrafts a Ski Supreme Moomba Cigarette Scarab Nova Donzi tahiti wellcraft cruiser honda dkrtbikes street bikes And My Yamaha Limited R1. I built Jet Engines for fighter aircraft in the Military. The Ultra I purchased was dry stored in my garage it suks that something they cheaped on, (the skinny metric plugs) was not built with the anti seize from the factory. They new they had an issue by 2008 and yet they failed to advise. Thats y i m pissed. I won't ever purchase a Kawasaki product again. The ski is other than the -10 hours New and they wont even assist. Thanks again and if u happen on a tool , well .... illw probably make something. LOL have a good morning.

+1
    many of us here have had to pull the heads to fix it seems the only way unless you are really really lucky.

+1
    I bought a used 'Ski on which some dealer had broken two ride plate bolts. No problem, they glued the heads back on to make it look good!

Soooo, take the pieces of your spark plug and glue it back together; then take it to the dealer for service!

+1
    yes I found a tool to hold the easy out, I will post a pic tomorrow and you can attach a long socket exstention to it give it a tap and back it out. I have had luck with them this way.

+1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information