Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Wink So there is my problem right there, new member sl780

So i found the problem when i went to pick up this polaris 780 with trailer for super ridiculous cheap. Now i knew it didnt have paperwork but for the price i could just use it as a yard trailer and to haul stuff to the dump and be ok with buying the trailer. So we barganed on a price and i got it for super cheap. The reason the ski was less than exciting?

this is what i saw when i popped off the seat

so obviously i am missing a cylinder and head along with the con rod and more than a few bolts to attach all of them together. so to sum up the damage it looks like the PTO was the one that had the worst sieze, losing a lot of material (found in exhaust port) and also cracking and removing a large chunk out of the crankcase in the left transfer. Both other pistons showed a hot/lean condition and had zero wash on the domes, they also had some tiny evidence of the piston/ring catching on the intake port side and chipping the piston.

There was some loose hose clamps, a cracked pulse line, a removed exhaust hanger, a fiddled with electrical box . very stiff bars like wont move at all

the good news is that the electrical seems to be working ( jumper cables cause the bilge to pump and the starter works!!) no water in the separator, no cracks or obvious damage to the hull or impeller, tanks both look fine (I will be replacing all the fuel lines including pickup in tank, and switching to premix only. may keep the oil res as my two stroke bottle on board.)

and I already have plans to go ahead and fix all the trouble spots with these engines namely
    1. rebuild the fuel pump with new Mikuni parts (1996 should be a triple output)
    2. remove the fuel line weirdo restrictor (not the return one the other one)
    3. remove and block off the oil pump with homemade plate and of course seal it up
    4. grease and clean all the parts like the jet pump, driveshaft, cables, ect....
    5. if necessary open up the MFD and clean, desiccate, grease, adjust, and reinstall
    6. get three carb rebuild kits after i open them up and make sure I need them (have done plenty of carb work on two strokes)
    7. obviously regular safety stuff like check the kill lanyard thing, fire extinguisher, ect.....

the trailer needs some attention as well. depending on how well the bearing R+R goes i may need new hubs, definitely new tires soon, and possibly new leaf springs along with new mounting brackets and hardware all around, all the shackles and bolts are rusted to hell and back.

here are the rest of the pics.

and the triple pump i believe the good one for fuel pumps, probably get a preventative rebuild for reliability, or at least a full teardown and inspection.

Also forgot to ask for any comments concerns or ideas about the rebuild, i see a few options, pop out the whole motor along with everything else and swap for know good or remanufactured one. Buy a good long-block and just check it out before bolting it up to all the accessories. i could buy a crank/case combo and just do a whole top end rebuild. Or i could find a running ski without trailer or title and just swap everything keeping this one for parts. i have seen some top end parts on the classified section and in other stores online but i think i might nickel and dime myself to death unless i find one with at least a good crank, case, and three cylinders with heads, so if anyone knows of a wrecked or stripped sl780 motor I am interested.

I also don't know if I put in the first post but i have sent the request to the DMV and to the Wildlife Resource guys to get the last registered owner's address and phone # so hopefully i can get both ski and trailer legal beagle.

OK obviously i am real excited about this ski and trying to learn all I can before i sink into the project. I have a question about the polaris models. I found an ad for a 1996 SLX but it says 760. i believe the ad is a misprint and it is an SLX780 but my question is what are the differences in the two models? can i swap parts back and forth? will the SLX engine bolt right into my 780 hull? and if the SLX is way cooler should i just try to get that one going and scrap my current reck for spare parts? the main problem with the potential donor/replacement ski is that it says no reg/ no title so it may be harder to get legal.

Banned User
    +1
    SLX is basically the same ski. Came with extended jet pump and most likely a better impeller.Also had sponsons on the hull, along with a longer ride plate. I would put the jet pump from the SLX on this ski as well. Just about everything but the seat should be a direct swap.

awesome i was worried they were totally different motors or something, but it sounds like it is just like a honda civic EC EX *&. Like a trim package but with basically all the same parts, intake manifold/carbs/starter/exhaust..... sounds like a perfect swap, the SLX for sale has low compression on one cylinder but i should be able to either bore .5 over or re-sleeve if scored badly or even just sleeve it with a new piston and have spare parts for days....... huhuuuhuhhuahahhahahahahahaahahahhhahahahhaahaaaaa aaaa

now just gotta wait for the title (s) to come in the next week or so and hopefully get all in order. Thanks BryanP

Banned User
    +1
    Good luck. There are plenty of guys here with lots of knowledge ready to help out with any questions you may have.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1

Oh man, i read that thread about three times before i put my intro post on here, Didn't it sound like i knew what was up? i guess not, i should have used more vocab like MAG, CEN and whatnot.

JK
    thanks for the link, between that thread and the "intro to Polaris skis" that BK44 guy has in his signature I feel like i already know the ins, and outs of this sl780 before ever even firing it up.

Actually i saw your "everything must go " sale and if i can get a decent crank case/crank i will be contacting you about that reasonably priced top end rebuild you still have. that is if you still have it after the DMV and the Wildlife guys get me my paperwork.

Thanks in advance to you Xlint89 and the guy with the pump as his avatar, I have read more than a few pages of your dialouge back and forth and that has been very informative.

I have a technical question, i have been reading around the forum and have seen the 650 750 780 motors referred to together real often, i have also seen a lot of skis being parted out that are not 780SLs so what i am wondering is, What are the differences between these three engines?
    I know obviously 50 and 80 cc. and i have read about the differences in the carb settings and the fuel supply differences on various year models. I also found that the trim package has a lot to do with what ride plate you are likely to find under there and what jet pump you have and also the other options like the impeller/wear plate/ and availability of trim and reverse. sl slt slx

The plan for this ski is to replace the crank cases and depending on what condition motor i get i will probably rebuild the crank and reseal the cases with the assistance of an engine shop to check the runout and balance the crank/press on the new rods and bearings. Then i want to drop in some oversize (+.25 or.5mm) pistons with rings and pistons to match and i can do all the port chamfering and matching myself.

So can i interchange the parts across the board? i mean use my busted stock crank for the rebuild with new con rods, bearings, seals then put that in a 650 case, slap on some 780 top end kits, then bolt that up to my regular sl780 carbs/reeds/exhaust/FA/ect...??? cause if i could that seems like the best option to me, take everyones leftover core parts like cases and stuff. add in some cylinders that need to be bored (or even do my own two and buy one more to add and put new pistons/rings in them)

i dont know if i should start a new thread in the tech section but i figured that was a good place to add it in and it seems like i am getting a few views. I got to go with my roommate on another 2.5 hour round trip to just a few miles from where i got the ski to score a sweet cheap ghetto blaster Tomos moped, but i will get back out to the ski tomorrow and take off the exhaust, other two cylinders, and try to get a good look at all the damage.
    dont worry i will snap some pics and throw them on here ......
    Last edited by Tow-in-Barrels; 06-28-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: add in a question to help Shopping for parts

I geuss this goes here, i am certainly not starting a "trailer project" thread too. hahaha

but seriously my bearings in the trailer wheels were super duper shot, pack full of what was grease in 1996 and the nut was so loose!!! I knew that already from checking it out when i picked it up but damn i got like two full turns or more before it got tight....... got to clean up the bearing i pulled out with me to check the #'s so i can order new bearings seals and grease caps. ( i know i need new shackles and hardware, gonna try to clean up the springs they still look very solid and i have live a 1 to 10 mile drive to the put in )

also as this motor snapped a connecting rod and cracked the case, i am looking to go ahead and remove the whole block, i went and bought SAE sockets and everything.. but how the heck do you get to the exhaust side cylinder bolts??? do you have to disassemble the exhaust from the back (left) side and then use an open end? i can get to the right side cylinder bolts fine but the other ones are tough.
    Or should i just man up, disconnect the water lines fuel lines and FA and just pull out the whole thing in one shot?

of course i will search and look around but if anyone has the secret to getting to the cylinders before the exhaust i can just lift them out together and just have the case and crank in there.
    Last edited by Tow-in-Barrels; 06-29-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: forgot to mention

Banned User
    +1
    I think you have to remove the exhaust manifold before you can remove the cylinders.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information