Exclamation Kawasaki 1100 STX - burning oil

Hi All,

Looking for some light at the end of the tunnel. I have a kawasaki 1100 stx and I've gone over it time and time again. I make sure the oil is full and everything is good. I take it out to the local lake and ride it for about 45min-hour and the oil light comes on and starts flashing at me. When I take the seat off there is no leakage of oil anywhere. It's just disappearing. This happens every time I take it out. I keep it well maintained but I just can't figure this out. I know it's supposed to burn a little oil and that's normal, but when the light keeps coming on I know that's gotta be bad.

Does this usually mean rings? Or my engine needs to be rebuilt? I was hoping not and maybe it was just a broken seal, but it's really annoying being only able to ride it for a short period of time before I have to park it. I am an IT Admin and Web Designer and don't know much about jetskis/waverunners.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

+1
    Welcome aboard, Boldfist!

So, the oil IS disappearing at a rapid rate, correct? Have you notice that the exhaust smokes like crazy?

I don't know what year your 'Ski is. The early ones had fixed ratio pumps, I don't know if the later ones had variable ratio pumps or not. If it does have a variable ratio pump, and the cable breaks or slips off, or if the spring breaks, it will use all kinds of oil.

Look on the front of your engine and inspect the oil pump. It's the thing on the engine with a bunch of rubber hoses coming out of it. If there is a cable and pulley attached to it, watch it while you move the throttle lever. It should move. If the spring is broken, the pulley won't return to the idle position.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, Boldfist!

So, the oil IS disappearing at a rapid rate, correct? Have you notice that the exhaust smokes like crazy?

I don't know what year your 'Ski is. The early ones had fixed ratio pumps, I don't know if the later ones had variable ratio pumps or not. If it does have a variable ratio pump, and the cable breaks or slips off, or if the spring breaks, it will use all kinds of oil.

Look on the front of your engine and inspect the oil pump. It's the thing on the engine with a bunch of rubber hoses coming out of it. If there is a cable and pulley attached to it, watch it while you move the throttle lever. It should move. If the spring is broken, the pulley won't return to the idle position.
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. Yes, I ride it for about 30-45min maybe an hour and the oil light will come on saying oil is low. Sometimes its also hard to start when cold, but eventually will start. The ski is 1998 I believe. It seems to ride fine and idle fine, but burns oil like crazy and no visible leaks. I just got off work and I'm going to go check on it right now and check your suggestions. I will report back with my findings and some pics.

Thanks!!

+1
    '98 is a fixed ratio pump.

Hi Steve,

I went and checked it all and everything is working as it should. No broken cables or springs and when I move the throttle it all moves correctly. Here's some pics I snapped. I don't believe the exhaust poured out smoke excessively. Maybe a little at first start up but after that it seemed fine. Rides fine. Idles Fine. Then light pops on, so frustrating

+1
    Use a felt tip marker and mark the oil level on the tank. Go ride until the light comes on. Measure how far down the oil level is.

Perhaps the oil sensor is messed up.

+1
    Ya how much oil do you have to add when the light comes on?

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Use a felt tip marker and mark the oil level on the tank. Go ride until the light comes on. Measure how far down the oil level is.

Perhaps the oil sensor is messed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Right now the oil is pretty low. I will fill it up to the top, take it out, ride and keep an eye on the oil. I fired it up today with np, seems to be fine. That damn oil light is just throwing me off.

We are taking the ski out in about a week and I don't want the kids or myself to blow it up. I will keep a close eye on it and report back to you guys.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    How much oil usage is normal pure tank of gas?? Thanks for any help. Sorry to bud on light comes on also.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    are you laying smoke like james bond?

so you ride it for an hour the oil light goes on...how much oil goes in? quart?..how many tanks of gas are you going thru?

are people flipping you off as you fly by?

so how much smoke is it making

what kind of injector oil are you using?

Thread Information