Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Switching over to premix...school me please...

I hear of manY people blowing up motors due to lack of oil...and Im scared it will happen to me...my motor is brand new and I don't want to blow it up because something as stupid as the oil pump stops working...I replaced all the fuel and oil lines but I'm still scared the pump may go and them bam...motor is toast...

It's a ' 99 GSX limited 951 silver engine ...

So school me on what's needed to switch to pre mix and why you think this is or isn't a good idea...?

I'm assuming some type of block off for the oil that gets pumped into the motor automatically now..do they sell a kit or is this a diy type of thing? Is it a big job or easy for someone with a little mechanical know how? Thanks

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    well your first are going to have to pull the motor back out of the ski. then you can remove the oil pump, and then you will have to pull the stator cover to get the oil pump drive shaft out. if you dont it will shatter and take out the stator pickup and the stator. after that take all the oil lines and tank out. there is a block off plate that you need to purchase to go in place of the oil pump. I would also get a primer kit and install that...you can use the old oil injection points in the intake.

I have two schools of thought on the needing an oil pump. one being that its fairly fool proof for you to premix the oil and gas and you know you got the correct mix. BUT on the other hand if you have others that ride this you better be damn certian you tell them what to do when its out of fuel other wise one trip to the gas dock and you will be putting another motor in this ski. it also depends on what your water access looks like. if its like mine its a long walk up a 7% grade for 100 yards to get to the truck to get gas sucks. you will have to lock up your gas cans too so they dont grow legs and disappear. ive only had an oil pump fail once and its was because I didnt doo regular maintenance years ago...lesson learned.

+1
    Personally I'd stick with injection. It's almost never the oil pumps that fail but rather the lines. Just check your lines and you'll OK.

+1
    Thanks guys..thanks for the great explanation airborne as usual!!
    I guess I'm rethinking the idea quite a bit now...I changed all the lines that looked like they could use it..

I just converted to premix and it puts my mind at ease while riding. I just carry a quart on me and when I get to the gas dock, I throw the quart in and tell the cutie at the pump to put 10 gallons in.

+1
    Pulling the motor to do this is a lot of work for me to do mid season...I'm going to rely on the oil pump for this year and cross my fingers and pray it all does it's job...I take care of it so hopefully it will take care of me haha..thanks guys ! Feel free to keep opinions coming

Just make sure the oil level is going down. I believe it's 3 tanks of gas to about one tank of oil.

+1
    Thanks...i do this because my fuel gauge is the only thing that doesn't work...which sucks but I guess it could be worse...so every few hours or so depending on how I'm riding and how much I'm stoping, cruising, etc..I pop the seat and check the fuel tank..I also take a good notice of the oil level and make sure it's going down...

+1
    To be safe, just premix first tank and watching the oil level drops. Otherwise it could be quite an expensive way to find out your oil injection rig is not working.

+1
    I did also premix the first tank....I will keep eye on the oil level as often as possible as well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information