First ski, newbie, help me choose a ride plate, or shim mine, 760

I have a waveraider 760 and it's my first ski, I do like it, I rode other skis and I wasn't expecting some speedfreak out of this one just something to have a little fun with. I like everything about it except the porpoising issue, it is MAJOR, just a little chop on water will be unbearable, I found myself getting back to the dock almost idling from how bad it is, especially with a second person on it, it's as bad as it gets. My first step will be shimming the current rideplate, I don't mind spending a few bucks on getting a new one but I do wanna try shimming too. I spent few hours on this forum looking up other people's advice and seems the shimming sometimes helps, my understanding is to lower the back of the plate by bit. Now I also saw about differences in manufacturers, which one do I get? R&D, Riva, Pro-Tech...? I don't care about top end speed I am willing to sacrifice few MPH for a better ride but now I can't decide what would be the best plate to get it to ride more flat and stop acting like a wild bronco. Thanks, any other advice is welcomed

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by spleecho View Post

............. my understanding is to lower the back of the plate by bit......
    You got this right. Go and buy some standard stainless steel flat washers at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc that will fit your bolts, and add a washer on the two back bolts and torque to specs. Take it for a ride and see if you like it, if not add another on each side. Usually, no more than 3 per side is needed.

As far as the perfect ride plate for a gp 760, I would suggest that you go to the "old school" section in greenhulk and ask the same question specifying that it is for a 760. The gp 760's were exceptionally bad for porpoising and the correct ride plate for them may be different than the GP1200's. Remember that the hulls are the same for both, but the center of gravity is probably different when someone is actually sitting on the boat. This may call for a different ride plate.

+1
    U would want to shim the front of the ride plate but not to extend lower than the intake which would make the rear stay in the stock position. You might have to take a grinding wheel to the inside of the ride plate to make more room for angle

Thanks guys, I am going to add two washers to the back today and bring couple extra ones with me, I am going to the lake tomorrow anyway so I will get to test it then. If shimming doesn't help the problem next step is to start digging more into ride plates and try to get the right one. Thanks!

Edit: I am not sure where the "old school section" is on here

double check where you sponsons are set at as well. I too bought a 760 not long ago and one sponson was all the way up and the other was all the way down. It porpoised like the ride plate had 15 degrees of angle. I couldn't believe it made such a difference...

Quote Originally Posted by skyline2962 View Post
    double check where you sponsons are set at as well. I too bought a 760 not long ago and one sponson was all the way up and the other was all the way down. It porpoised like the ride plate had 15 degrees of angle. I couldn't believe it made such a difference...
    Thats the first thing I thought but the sponsons are non adjustable. I added 1 washer in on the middle bolts and two washers on rear bolts, tmrw is a test so I will keep you updated

Thread Information