Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Just bought 2003 XP DI need help

Just bought this thing, and it looks great. It has 160 hrs, but got it on the lake and won't go faster than 30 mph. It's turning about 4740-5000 rpm, and it just kinda bogs down. The guy that sold it to me, said he would give me my money back, but I want the ski. Any ideas on what could be the problem? Does this sound like it could be something major (expensive to fix)? Thanks.

IMHO return the ski and get the funds back... I know that sounds harsh... DI ski`s are a royal PITA. Unless you bought it dirt balls cheap, you`ll need the money to chase after the issues if it is something that is not found in a diagnostic test... These DI`s are notorious for electrical gremlins... at this point it could be anything. if you want to invest the time, money and aggravation keep it, if not find something else to buy and water test the ski before purchasing...
    it could turn out to be something simple, but then again maybe not...good luck...

the 951 is a good engine, just not that direct injection system...

Yeah, that's harsh, but I appreciate the opinion. From the searches here, that's the overall opinion, that the DI sucks. It just looks new inside and out, and the XP's are getting hard to find in good condition around here. Paid $3500, so I don't think it was a great deal. Just decent for the physical condition and overall appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynchburgsam View Post
    Yeah, that's harsh, but I appreciate the opinion. From the searches here, that's the overall opinion, that the DI sucks. It just looks new inside and out, and the XP's are getting hard to find in good condition around here.
    My friend had a 2002 XP carb`d model and that ran like scalded cat,,, I had the 2002 RXDI, and guess what, at 56 hours the system shit the bed, and the gremlins showed their ugly heads. not saying they are all like that, but with all the ski`s and different models to choose from, that is one to pass on...
    I hope I`m wrong and you find something simple, but>>>>> at the very minimum, it needs to be hooked up and looked at...
    Is this the first time your riding the ski? or did it bog after a while? water test before purchase?
    it could be a sensor, a solenoid, air pressure, fuel pressure, something in the exhaust, rave valves, RV solenoid, the list is long...

This was the first time on the ski. I wrote the guy a check, so he knows I can stop payment on it anytime. I think he's willing to do whatever I want. He owns his own shop, and sells jet ski's, motorcycles, etc. but he's not a Sea Doo dealer. He said he rode it on Sat. and it was running 60 easy. I was thinking of taking it to the local dealer and letting them look at it before I take it back, but I hate to put more money it as well. Thanks again, I appreciate the response. Anyone one on the opposite end of the spectrum?

Maybe the seller is willing to cover diagnostic costs and repair, Good Luck, hope you get it straightened out...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Maybe the seller is willing to cover diagnostic costs and repair, Good Luck, hope you get it straightened out...
    Thanks man. I think he's willing to work on it himself and fix it. I'm just afraid I might be opening up a big mess with this thing, and might be better off to just take it back and look for a non-DI. I actually had a 98 or 99 xp limited back in 2000-2001. It was bad ass, but I moved north, and it didn't make since to keep it. These new ones (RXP etc.) are just too f'in big, I like the way the XP handles. Just so hard to find good ones that aren't dogged out or mistreated over the years.

Took it to the dealer this morning. Everything checked out, and they told me it was as good as a brand new one mechanically. Found the wear ring was bad, so must have sucked some trash up into it.

Jump ship! When that ski breaks, it is very expensive to fix. There is a 3rd piston in the crank case that powers the fuel injection. It is a values. 99+ xp carbed is the way to go. Keep it stock and it is bulletproof. You can tell if the motor was opened if the studs have paint on them. Painted studs is a good sign when buying one of these boats. You don't want an sbt motor either. They don't last very long. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynchburgsam View Post
    Took it to the dealer this morning. Everything checked out, and they told me it was as good as a brand new one mechanically. Found the wear ring was bad, so must have sucked some trash up into it.
    did they water test the ski to feel the bog your are inquiring about? there is no load on the engine while running on the trailer...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information