Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Need honest opinions on Kawi or Yamaha

Hey guys,
    This is my first post so dont hurt me too bad. Anyways, I need some help in regards to choosing a ski. I have been looking into the Yamaha FZR and Kawasaki 300x. I would like a ski that handles well in the ocean, but can also get up and go if need be as well as actually jump waves and not just barrell through them. I'm by no means looking for the fastest ski out there, but one with some power and a lot of fun to ride in the surf. I used to own a 2000 GP800 and i loved the fact that i could get some serious air while jumping waves, but it lacked the power/ speed. I've always been a fan of 2-seater ski's, but would contemplate a 3-seater if it meets all my demands. With that mentioned, what do you guys/ ladies think would be the best choice ski for me? If you havent noticed, i do most of my riding in the surf. Thanks...

+1
    Oh no! Another Kawa versus Yama thread. You gonna get a ton of craziness now!!

I dont think the FZR will be the best in surf. Go with a FX SHO or the Kawa.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by twntrbo15 View Post
    Hey guys,
    This is my first post so dont hurt me too bad.
    Welcome to the forum.

Anyways, I need some help in regards to choosing a ski. I have been looking into the Yamaha FZR and Kawasaki 300x. I would like a ski that handles well in the ocean, but can also get up and go if need be as well as actually jump waves and not just barrell through them.
    Yes, you want the FZR or even better yet, test ride the FX-SHO. In fact test ride all of them if possible, yes including the green pig.

I'm by no means looking for the fastest ski out there, but one with some power and a lot of fun to ride in the surf.... If you havent noticed, i do most of my riding in the surf. Thanks...
    Ahh yes the surf; lots of fun but keep in mind getting big air on these heavy 4 strokes is not a good idea. You can easily break things; some guys have jumped the Ultra and landed flat, causing the supercharger to break off the engine. Jumping a Doo can break a motor mount, shift the carbon seal and sink your ski in seconds. We all have done the jumping thing, but the big 4 strokes are not designed for it; and it can lead to major warranty trouble. See my comments on jumping here and just be aware:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ur-New-Sea-Doo...

The Yamahas are proven winners; keep them stock and you can't go wrong. Thousands of WaveRunners have earned their durability stripes in the grueling rental industry around the world.

The Sea-Doo is a decent choice for marine use, because of its closed loop cooling system. They are not as durable but innovative; with nifty brakes and such.

As for the Kwaks; they are good offshore whales, but I can tell you for a fact they do plow through the waves, or as you said; "barrel" through the waves. We ride with several of them regularly, and they take a lot of water over the hood. As for reliability, I'll let the former Ultra owner speak for them below...

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I can't say enough how much we have enjoyed these Yamahas compared to the two 07-paint rubbing off-gasinoil Ultra 250's. Now you want to talk about up keep on a sc'r ski!? That's just the beginning. I couldn't get to Long Beach fast enough to put them in shipping to a guy in Australia.
    Bottom line; test ride them all and pick the one you like.

+1
    I would say after actually riding every type of ski available - if you plan on leaving it stock go for the FX SHO. It's an awesome machine and handles the rough very well. As well as the Kawi, no, but it also is a way better overall feel. The new Sea Doo RXT 260 (the yellow one) is also a badass ski but it just doesnt handle chop or rough anything like the SHO.
    My best friend has a bone stock 260 that he is looking to sell for a yamaha and my brother in law had one that he couldn't sell fast enough. I currently have a SHO and would only ride a new s3 hulled Sea Doo if I were to get another ski

+1
    Weird... my post was deleted from this thread?

+1
    Nothing weird about it.. All off topic posts were removed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Nothing weird about it.. All off topic posts were removed.
    What are you talking about? I said the SHO or the Kawa would be better for the surf. Not sure how that is off topic, but whatever makes you feel good

+1
    Post restored I got a little mouse click happy..
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrunner View Post
    What are you talking about? I said the SHO or the Kawa would be better for the surf. Not sure how that is off topic, but whatever makes you feel good

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Post restored I got a little mouse click happy..
    Heh, i thought maybe my "ton of craziness" comment was over the top!

+1
    Nope its all good just dont want to scare off the new member with a legit question. We can talk about cooking rice in the BS thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrunner View Post
    Heh, i thought maybe my "ton of craziness" comment was over the top!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information