Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vibration 4,800 - 5,000 RPM's

I recently purchased a 2008 RXT 215hp S/C and I've got about 10 hrs of seat time on it with various riding from idling to some heavy ripping across the lake. I love how the ski performs and it'll pull hard right up to 68 mph (speedo) @ 8,000 rpms. It's just got this weird droning dry bearing sound that endures from 4,800-5,000 rpm. And this really is noticeable when pulling a tube as that seems to be the "sweet spot" for maintaining 25 mph. Any ideas what this could be? Maybe it's perfectly normal but I'd like to possibly quiet it down if it is. The only thing that affects it is RPM. Is there a carrier bearing that could be going out or in dire need of lube? The ski has 68 total hours on it.

Thanks and please forgive me for throwing this out as my first post

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    could be pump berrings..and you only hear it at that speed ..pull the pump and see what the grease /oil looks like sometimes the seals go bad..and water gets in the pump..other wise it goes fine??

It rides perfectly fine but it has that noise and it seems like maybe it's a little worse after riding it for a while. I'm guessing I've got some sort of issue. I need to see some sort of microfiche or a good service manual to maybe get a good feel for exactly how it's constructed.

+1
    Also Make sure the prop is tight...

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    It rides perfectly fine but it has that noise and it seems like maybe it's a little worse after riding it for a while. I'm guessing I've got some sort of issue. I need to see some sort of microfiche or a good service manual to maybe get a good feel for exactly how it's constructed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Also Make sure the prop is tight...
    I assume that I have to pull the pump off to see if the prop is tight?

I tore into it and removed the nozzle mechanism.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	243831

Will I need some special seals or glue to reinstall the pump? Does the impeller slide off the driveshaft with the pump or is there something I would need to release there? It sure looks like the front side around the wear ring is silicone glued to the chassis. Is there any bearings on the front side of the driveshaft or does it simply bolt direct to the crank of the motor?

usually i remove the nozzle and the pump at the same time

take the remaining 4 17 mm bolt off...then you should be able to pull the bump back the drive shaft will slide out of the splines..on the prop as you remove it..then the the 3 hex heads..on the cone..under that is the large hex head that holds the prop on ..

the only special thing you should need is a prop tool to remove the prop..to hold it on the bench ...they are reaitively inexpensive..any decent dealer should stock one..

you could leave it on the ski..remove the cone and see if the prop is tight..if it was that wasnt your issue..i would take it off anyway.. i would at least flip the wear ring..look in the how to section ..involves the freezer ..you can find a fisch in the oe parts section above..

look at the prop and make sure all the blades look the same none ore bent and there is no damage to any of them

Well, I was all jacked up to pretty much rebuild my pump and then I talked to my dealer. He said those pumps and bearings are pretty solid and they haven't seen any failures on skis with significantly more hours. He said that it's probably a natural vibration if there's nothing jammed in the impeller and we pretty much ruled that out as there isn't any poor performance issues. He said "run it" if there is something wrong it will probably get noticeably louder and probably eat the wear ring which is no big deal. So he said you can wait and it might either be fine and never cause any problems or you can start replacing stuff and it'll cost you money guaranteed. I guess I'm on board with his logic.

you are on board because you want to be

you are 10 min from looking at them ..been around..seals do go...

ounce of prevension is worth a pound of cure...if the pump seizes ...it will cost you...

it is your ski your wallet..

Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    you are on board because you want to be

you are 10 min from looking at them ..been around..seals do go...

ounce of prevension is worth a pound of cure...if the pump seizes ...it will cost you...

it is your ski your wallet..
    Here's probably the biggest hurdle. I live 1.5 hours (one way) to the nearest seadoo dealership and so I have to seriously plan this thing out and need guideance on exactly how to do this. They will likely have NOTHING for parts available as I bet they probably sell 3 of these a year.

What would I need for sure just to pull it off and inspect it?
    Seals around the cone?
    Neoprene ring between the pump and hull?
    Some sort of synthetic grease?
    You say "flip the wear ring" I assume that means replace?

Just need help if I'm going to tackle this I'm not opposed to working on it just can't be sitting for weeks waiting for parts and guideance.

+1
    If i were you i would invest in a service manual..it will become your best friend when working on these skis....you will learn alot and see how to do things the right way....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information