Thread: New to PWC's

New to PWC's

Whats up guys. I'm new to the pwc game and looking for a good used pwc. I've done a good bit of research and i think ive narrowed it down between the Sea-Doo RXP and the Yamaha GPR. But I'm only looking to spend about 4 grand maybe 5. I'll be doing most of my riding on the lake or river, no big time waves or anything, just something play on and cruise around. Whats yalls opinion on what i should get, and what to look for in a used pwc?
    Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbdavis21 View Post
    Whats up guys. I'm new to the pwc game and looking for a good used pwc. I've done a good bit of research and i think ive narrowed it down between the Sea-Doo RXP and the Yamaha GPR. But I'm only looking to spend about 4 grand maybe 5. I'll be doing most of my riding on the lake or river, no big time waves or anything, just something play on and cruise around. Whats yalls opinion on what i should get, and what to look for in a used pwc?
    Thanks!
    Welcome to the forum.
    They both have strong points and weak points;
    the RXP is a really fun little 4 stroke; in a handling class by itself really. But from 2004-2007 they were notorious for ceramic clutch washer issues; a nasty little part that shatters and sends ceramic dust into the oil pumps which can easily lead to catastrophic engine failure if not repaired correctly. Without metal washers they are ticking time bombs if you know what I mean, and rebuilding a PWC engine is very expensive; you can get killed on the parts alone.

The GPR is a cool machine in its own right; if you like to tinker with 2 strokes this is as good a place to be as any. But these days anything 2 stroke is really a dinosaur; mixing oil in the gas is a recipe for problems in my experience. I had marine 2 strokes for 25 years and I will never go back there. As I say, if you have a mechanical background, it may not be a problem.

If you want a modern 4 stroke, I would look to something like the reliable Yamaha FX series; they come in NA and supercharged models and you can probably find a used one still under OEM extended warranty, which you can transfer into your name after purchase. Test ride them all; the dealers will usually be happy to set up a demo for you. And no matter which brand you get, my advice is make sure you get one with an extended warranty; I will simply not own one without it. If you can't afford one with a warranty, then wait and save up a little more money; it's worth it.

I've really been leaning toward the rxp, but i just can't find one in my price range. I would rather have a 4-stroke 2-seater, and to my understanding all of yamaha's 2-seaters are 2-stroke, am I right here? Which puts me back on the rxp. Are there any other major notorious problems with rxp's?
    YoYamma thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.

Ok, so i just did some research on the yamaha fx series pwc's and i saw nothing but praise! What do you guys think about the fx series?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbdavis21 View Post
    Ok, so i just did some research on the yamaha fx series pwc's and i saw nothing but praise! What do you guys think about the fx series?
    Come on over to the Yamaha 4 Stroke section and pose the question; you should get more response there.

Thread Information