xp 787 misfire on and off

hey guys im trying to fix up my friends 96 xp 787.. the main problem we are having is a misfire that comes and goes when the motor is warmed up.. if i play with the throttle after a few minutes it comes back to life.. so far ive replaced all grey lines and cleaned the tank filter etc.. i didnt notice any gunk or bad deterioated lines and im thinking about taking the carbs out and cleaning them out but im unsure if that will fix the problem.. and also i was unsure if i would need a rebuilt kit?.. ive found a video on youtube of the same problem as mine... any suggestions?

+1
    i would still clean carb's and if not fix check plug at front of ski see if bad connections also for fail stator reading my be failing with heat

which plug are you walking about?.. ive changed the sparkplugs and wires are good... i didnt see the ski overheat once yet.. im relying on the light still working

+1
    Make sure the spark plug line is not pulling out of the spark plug cap. It will show spark and the ski will idle. But when you get on it it might be cutting out. This happen to me ones and it seem like it was a fuel problem and it wasn't. Make sure to clean the small fiters in the carbs for sure after having the grey line there might be some junk in there.

Quote Originally Posted by 20 feet Boy View Post
    Make sure the spark plug line is not pulling out of the spark plug cap. It will show spark and the ski will idle. But when you get on it it might be cutting out. This happen to me ones and it seem like it was a fuel problem and it wasn't. Make sure to clean the small fiters in the carbs for sure after having the grey line there might be some junk in there.
    thanks a lot for the help!.. i just ordered a new carb kit 60$ a pice and i will tear them down today and have a good look at those filters.. one question though i got quoted 320$ for the stator is that normal?.. and is there a way to check if its working properly volt meter maybe?

+1
    I don't think it would be your stator. But if water got into it maybe. And yes the stator is a rip off. There are ways to check with volt meter if something bad. But because of it being intermittent it might be harder to pin point. If one of the plugs is black it might be the Rectifier Module in the Grey box's. If your Rectifier is bad it can sometimes appear blubbering and very rich running making one of the plugs black and almost fouled. Maybe do one thing at a time. I hope this help a little.

Thread Information