Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Greasing the jet pump/drive

Hey all, I just picked up a used 2008 RXP with 52 hours on it. I wanted to do some of the maintenance to it to make sure this thing is truly good to go as I am unsure of how well the first owner kept up on it. I have already changed the oil with some amsoil marine and put in a new oil filter and o-rings that I picked up through the greenhulk store. My other concern was greasing the jet pump/drive. I picked up a shop service pdf online and I am reading all of the maintenance timeframes for the certain things that need to be done. I noticed there are a lot of lubrication things involving the drive shaft and impeller splines and whatnot. I was just wondering to what extent i needed to lube everything up. Do i just take off the nose cone and fill that with some grease or do I need to take it a step further? I have searched around on here but really didnt find much regarding this, maybe i am not searching the proper terms or calling it the wrong thing since i am somewhat new to this. If anyone can let me know what parts i need to keep lubed up in the drive system so i am not forgetting anything or can link me to a good thread on this it would be greatly appreciated! I want to keep this thing in tip top shape for as long as I own it. Thanks!

+1
    Pull the charger and verify you have the updated 08 washers. I know it is a 2008 but the update didn't come until midway through the production year. Take the tail cone off and verify that the grease is not white or black in color. It should be goldish in color. If anything other, you need to clean out what is in the pump cone and refill with grease. Just make sure that you DO NOT HIT THE CONE BACK DOWN. Use a twisting motion and then use the bolts to cede it all the way down flush by tightening evenly and do not over tighten as you will break the cone. Spray WD 40 on most of the inside of the hull to help prevent and fight corrosion. I would also change the plugs and the oil. Go ahead and change the wear ring while you are there. Preventative maintenance is key I believe.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jhm1138 View Post
    Hey all, I just picked up a used 2008 RXP with 52 hours on it. I wanted to do some of the maintenance to it to make sure this thing is truly good to go as I am unsure of how well the first owner kept up on it. I have already changed the oil with some amsoil marine and put in a new oil filter and o-rings that I picked up through the greenhulk store. My other concern was greasing the jet pump/drive. I picked up a shop service pdf online and I am reading all of the maintenance timeframes for the certain things that need to be done. I noticed there are a lot of lubrication things involving the drive shaft and impeller splines and whatnot. I was just wondering to what extent i needed to lube everything up. Do i just take off the nose cone and fill that with some grease or do I need to take it a step further? I have searched around on here but really didnt find much regarding this, maybe i am not searching the proper terms or calling it the wrong thing since i am somewhat new to this. If anyone can let me know what parts i need to keep lubed up in the drive system so i am not forgetting anything or can link me to a good thread on this it would be greatly appreciated! I want to keep this thing in tip top shape for as long as I own it. Thanks!
    I always pull the pump, clean the splines in the prop and on the shaft, grease splines, remove rear pump cone, remove/clean and replace old grease from cone, replace both o-rings in rear of pump (the two that seal the pump cone), inspect impeller and wear ring for damage and proper clearance, check pump bearings for anything unusual, reasemble and ride. Oh, and some of us run PRVs so this is a good time to check these for smooth operation and o-ring replacement. Depending on hrs on carbon seal it's also a good time to replace the seal along with a new bellow.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Pull the charger and verify you have the updated 08 washers. I know it is a 2008 but the update didn't come until midway through the production year. Take the tail cone off and verify that the grease is not white or black in color. It should be goldish in color. If anything other, you need to clean out what is in the pump cone and refill with grease. Just make sure that you DO NOT HIT THE CONE BACK DOWN. Use a twisting motion and then use the bolts to cede it all the way down flush by tightening evenly and do not over tighten as you will break the cone. Spray WD 40 on most of the inside of the hull to help prevent and fight corrosion. I would also change the plugs and the oil. Go ahead and change the wear ring while you are there. Preventative maintenance is key I believe.
    All good advice!

Thanks for the feedback! I had no idea that my supercharger could have the ceramic bearings in them. That was one of the reasons that I picked up an 08' Guess I will have to look into that. Is there a way i could check my hull number with something to make sure that it has the updated washers. I do plan on rebuilding the SC at the end of the season as im sure i will be in the ballpark of 100hrs and I see that is when you guys recommend rebuilding them. As for the WD-40, what parts should i hit with that exactly...I am assuming if i hit the engine and exhaust, i will be making a lot of smoke when i run it. Are there any special tools required to get to the splines in the prop and shaft? I am seeing in my manual that they reference an impeller remover/installer tool (P/N 529 035 956). Is that needed to take this apart?

So from the sounds of it, the things I should do are:

Look into the SC issue.
    Clean out the cone and regrease
    Clean and regrease the propeller/shaft splines
    install 2 new O-rings for cone
    install new wear ring

Am i missing anything? I have already changed the oil/filter.

Do they make any O-ring/wear ring kits to get it all at once or are these things that i will be ordering individually from the OEM store.

Anddd one more question. Is there any grease in particular that you guys like to use. Just a seadoo factory grease or would something like a higher quality grease such as an amsoil grease be acceptable as well. I ask because i would probably have to order a seadoo grease online as a dealer is pretty far away and i could just get another grease at the local napa and it would be easier. Unless that is a no no.

Thanks again for all of the great advice. I will have a great peace of mind when i am out there once i get this stuff done!

Do you ride fresh or salt water? I always lube the steering cable.

+1
    There is a possibility that you have ceramic washers. 08 is when they changed over. If yours was a later production then you might be good. Take the charger out and snap a pic. We will be able to help you out.

I ride all fresh water and have no plans to take it into saltwater. The closest thing i have to an ocean around here is lake erie. I am from Pittsburgh, PA.

I will get to checking out the supercharger hopefully when i get a free weekend here. For now i see that my serial # is 34832 so that seems to be somewhat high in the production line for me which makes me feel a little better for in the meantime, not sure how many were made though.

Any advice on type of grease? Should I order seadoos or is there a good grease i can use from an auto store? Thanks again as usual.

+1
    You should be good with any type of synthetic grease from the auto store. I changed mine over to gear oil. I think it lubes the bearings better than the grease. Last time I took my pump apart all the grease was back in the cone so it wasnt really hitting the bearings very well. I think if you search under "wet pump mod" you will find info. Not saying thats what you should do thats just what I did.

I read into that wet mod thing and it seems pretty interesting and does make sense. I think I am going to stick with the grease because I know I will always be worrying if the oil leaked out and the grease would tend to stick in there more so its not an issue. But yea, I agree that oil would actually get to the bearings better.

I was taking a look up close at my pump today and was curious about some parts in the attached pic that I have. I noticed a yellow tab sticking out of the top between my impeller housing and the "pump support assembly" as it is called on the parts diagram. This seems to be the tab of some type of seal between the housing and pump support. What is this seal and will this seal need replaced when i take the pump housing off. I cant find it on any of the oem parts diagrams!

My other question that is more of a curiosity thing is what is that black plastic looking hex bolt plug type thing sticking out of the top for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	244224  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information