Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 virage tx idle set screw problem in carbs

i recently bought a 200o polaris virage 1200cc tx model, has a few issues on it and any help would be great, drained old gas out, put new plugs in and a new fully charged battery, did a comp test right off the bat, was in the 128 to 132. took it out about a wk ago backed it in to test it out, unit started right up but ran like crap, smoken to beat hell, u had to stay on the throttle pretty good to keep it running and would run consistent at all, ran it for about 2-3 mins ...i was hoping it was sum bad gas in the carbs and it would work its way out, well then the unit started flashing the red oil light that lasted not to long then it just plain out died, i lost all power....so i went home and cheked it out the next day...battery connection were good, battery was up to par, the reset button had tripped in the fuse/wiring box, mean while i was checkn stuff out a little more closer i noticed a jet looking object layn in the bottom of the unit, looked at the cards closer and sure enough i see the same looking jet in the front cyl carb but ther wer many more spots for these jets to be, 6 it had looked like all together....ther was oil dripping out of the 5 that did not hv jets in them, and i am short 4 jets now cant find them anywher in bottom of unit, im forshur guessn why thats due to it running like crap, is ther and oil saftey pressure swith? those jets being out shut the power to unit down when theres not enough oil pressure? im lost a little here? thinkn i need to get ride of oil system all together and mix the gas that way i no im forsure good. how do i go abouts doin that? i hit the reset swith and i got power for a second but then clicks reset agin and no power, anyone had problems like these, i need to take one step at a time here and if anyone could help that would be great thanks

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    almost sounds like it was converted to premix and they left the oil pump in place.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk
    Pictures of your carb and the jet you are talking about,will be the only way to help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Some clear photos will certainly help.

For small things use the close-up mode on the camera, often it has a flower icon

notice the ports h and L....high and low i would guess? (H) i see is not suppose to hv a screw in it after i got carbs off unit i could see that more clear, port is molded shut from factory. (L) however has threads in each carb.....suppose to be srews in them. only cyl one carb had a srew in it when i noticed the problem,other two were missing! is this the oil pump? ther 20 bucks a piece for the screws plush s&h. polaris part number description says ther a idle set screw , can i get rid of oil injection unit all together? dont no much about this any help would be great

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    i've got 2 of them $20.00 shipped for them both.when you put it back together make sure the oil pump cable is adjusted right and that the lever on the pump hasn't flipped over.they should have a limiter cap on them to keep them from turning more than a 1/8 turn either direction once they're set to specs,probably got those as well

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by twitty View Post
    notice the ports h and L....high and low i would guess? (H) i see is not suppose to hv a screw in it after i got carbs off unit i could see that more clear, port is molded shut from factory. (L) however has threads in each carb.....suppose to be srews in them. only cyl one carb had a srew in it when i noticed the problem,other two were missing! is this the oil pump? ther 20 bucks a piece for the screws plush s&h. polaris part number description says ther a idle set screw , can i get rid of oil injection unit all together? dont no much about this any help would be great
    Those are the "idle mixture screws" they should be 1 1/8 turns out from lightly seated. They adjust how much fuel goes into the carbs at idle and lower speeds.
    With out them, the carbs were probably just sucking air. I'd imagine it was leaking gas along with the oil.

The small hose fittings ( opposite the mixture screws ) is where the oil is injected.
    If you follow those 3 small hoses-they lead to the oil pump on the front of the engine.

so i def need to get the idle screws back in the unit , i wasnt sure if those wer just for the oiling part....or both fuel and oil...i no now...thanks for the info!, i cant believe it was even running with onle one in . hopefully i didnt do damage! was running for only a few mins but coulda been long enough to do damage i would think. but heres where im sitn at az of now. like i said i had it running then oil light came on after a few mins then it just died and i lost all power! no dash power, bilge....no power. fuse on side of electronic box inside keeps popn. it stays in for a sec and the dash lights up then it pops, its just weird this happens now at the time i noticed the dang idle screws wer missing, i had no power problems before that, had good spark... everything...bilge worked...everything seemed fine.........not after all that i unhooked the red/purple stripe wire from the cdi part in the box (i unpluged it at the panel it connects to) and i hv power going to hole unit...dash. bilge. and unit turns over fine....no spark of coarse with that wire unplugged .....but what im getn at is it wont pop the fuse then.....almost acts like maybe sumthn is backfeedn? the thing had no power issues until i had it running for two to three mins then oil light flashed then died a few seconds later and now no power unless i unhook that red/purple stripe wire ......anyone ran into this before? thanks again for any help (ps: I have bran new fully charged battery, cleaned battery connections, cleaned grounds on unit and greased them, everythings tight)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by twitty View Post
    ... had it running then oil light came on after a few mins then it just died and i lost all power! no dash power, bilge....no power. fuse on side of electronic box inside keeps popn. it stays in for a sec and the dash lights up then it pops, ...

I unhooked the red/purple stripe wire from the cdi part in the box (i unpluged it at the panel it connects to) and i hv power going to whole unit...dash. bilge. and unit turns over fine....no spark of coarse with that wire unplugged .....but what im getn at is it wont pop the fuse then.....almost acts like maybe sumthn is backfeedn?

the thing had no power issues until i had it running for two to three mins then oil light flashed then died a few seconds later and now no power unless i unhook that red/purple stripe wire ......anyone ran into this before? thanks again for any help (ps: I have bran new fully charged battery, cleaned battery connections, cleaned grounds on unit and greased them, everythings tight)
    Just to be clear, you are unplugging the Red/Purple wire from the CDI ignition module or the LR-505 Start/Stop module?

LR-505 module has a Yellow wire, CDI module does not.

What color is the terminal labeled that you are removing the wire from? Orange or Red/Purple?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information