Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1100 STX DI EMM cooling

I recently started up my 2001 1100 STX DI after letting it sit for the past years.

It started up without much trouble and runs for ~ 20-30 minutes before the check engine light comes on.
    When I got home I checked and found the error code was the one tell me the EMM was getting hot.

I have blocked cooling line somewhere.

When I run the ski on the trailer I get plenty of water out the back of the Ski and some from the bypass outlet, but not a lot.
    Should I get more than a trickle from the bypass when running on a garden hose? Should it change when I rev the engine?

Any suggestion on finding out where the blockage is?

Thanks
    -PDully

Quote Originally Posted by PDully View Post
    Any suggestion on finding out where the blockage is?
    Get a cooling system diagram or service manual to understand how the cooling system works on your ski. Unlike other skis of that era, DI ski uses dual cooling circuit - one for engine and another for EMM. Water coming out of side or rear doesn't mean EMM is getting cooled down.

There are minimum 4 common places to check when EMM gets hot:
    1. Stator cover
    2. Lower fitting on the stator cover
    3. T fitting under the exh manifold.
    4. Hose between the stator cover lower fitting and the T fitting.

+1
    I'm guessing the front of the DI engine is similar to the carbureted version. Here's is where dirt collects:

Thanks for the information. I found a good diagram of the cooling system.

I started pulling off cooling lines and checked to see if I could blow through them.
    One of the lines from the EMM (connected to the stator) appeared blocked - somewhere beyond the stator. I did not see anything in the fitting at the stator. I connected a bike pump to the line and with a few hard pumps I heard some water coming out back out by the impeller. I found little bits of salt there as well.

I flushed the Ski again and took it out this weekend and ran it non-stop for 2 hours. It ran great and there was solid flow from the bypass nozzle and no check engine light.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PDully View Post

> I did not see anything in the fitting at the stator.

> I connected a bike pump to the line and with a few hard pumps I heard some water coming out back out by the impeller

> It ran great and there was solid flow from the bypass nozzle and no check engine light.
    > You were probably looking at the elbow fitting on the top. You need to check the bottom one.
    > You also need to pull off the stator cover plate and clean out... I mean scrape off the corrosion/debri built.
    > Blowing with air is just a band-aid. It will clog again and next time it can damage your $1200 EMM.

Hello There. Can you please sent me the cooling diagram? My stx also is overheating and I need the cooling diagram. Thanks

I have the service manual for the STX DI. Just wonder how do i upload it in here?

Can someone please post a copy of the STX service manual? Not the DI model....but the CV(constant velocity) carbs 1999. Thanks in advance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredman View Post
    Can someone please post a copy of the STX service manual? Not the DI model....but the CV(constant velocity) carbs 1999. Thanks in advance.
    Sorry, you can't just 'post a copy' of the manual. It's 61 MB.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information