+1

89 octane with an octane booster

I may find myself in an area without 90 octane fuel. Is is safe to go with 89 octane and add octane boost? 2010 Ultra 260X, no modifications.

Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by RuleBreaker View Post
    I may find myself in an area without 90 octane fuel. Is is safe to go with 89 octane and add octane boost? 2010 Ultra 260X, no modifications.

Thx.
    I know some have used stuff that comes in a can. I wouldn't personally. I have the same problem when I ride on a lake. Most stations only carry 89. Buy some race fuel, it's the safest way to be sure your engine is getting the octane it needs. Depending on how long you'll be riding for, you might be able to get away with carrying only a 2.5 gallon jug of fuel with you. Simple math will let you know how much you need to put in a tank at a time.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Fill it with 93 octane on the way to the lake, then about at a half tank, fill it back up with 89.......

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Fill it with 93 octane on the way to the lake, then about at a half tank, fill it back up with 89.......
    Decent idea Aqua, but that still would only get some of us about 4 hours of riding (as it's a tank and a half, not two full tanks.) I have been in the same situation and many have said Toluene is the only true way to boost numbers significant enough to matter. After much rerading and clicking, I have come to agree. You decide for yourself. I personally will never buy a bottled booster again as the price-to-boost ratio is simply not worth it. I put three Lucas boosters in my tank and then did the research. I gained about 3/4 of one true octane point. Think about that: 3 bottles @ $6 each to boost 89 octane to not even 90. No thanks. At least the Lucas bottle told the truth about how points in octane do not add up like you think or like other manufacturers would like to make you think.
    So for me, I bought a 15 gallon wheeled tank to put in my PU bed so I can at least get a days ride out of my 300x and know it's all 92 octane. Getting Toluene would have been great if all the Meth-heads did not cause California to ban sales to anyone but painters. Otherwise that would have been a great option and fairly affordable too. A quart of that, or two, would have truly boosted the 89 to 92-93 for about $10.
    Here is the tank I bought:
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...able+Fuel+Tank

Nice Octane thread if you're interested:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/octa...fo-124750.html
    Last edited by rsg1963; 06-30-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: More info

+1
    Thanks for the replies. I can't believe the lack of availability of high octane fuel on the water. I left NJ with a full tank of 93 octane and ran over to Indian River and met up with a buddy, who bought 2 5 gallon jugs of 93 octane fuel for me. There is only one marina in the Cape May area carrying high octane fuel and the only one I found in Delaware was in OC Maryland! I will have to look into Toluene, I'm not sure about the NJ laws, although they have plenty of stupid ones, so it may be the same as CA. Thanks for the link.

Thread Information