Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Time for upgrades can you please help

So I have a 05' RXP with 100 hours. Last fall I had the motor replaced under warrnaty and rebuilt the supercharger with metal washers. Stock now I see 66.5 to 67 mph on my gps with good acceleration. I see between 7950 and 8050 rpm depending on water condition.

My boat tends to cavitate on tight turns and i'd like to help that issue and get alittle more top end and accel as well. I wanna start with a couple items and go from there.

I'm thinking the rd perfrormance intake grate and thier power air filter kit. What do you guys think about that? should help? would you recommend something else?

thanks

+1
    riva grate with girdle... rear air.... prop and opas pro blockoffs and your 70+ mph 70-73

How much are you looking to spend? I'm grateful my first mod to my 04 was a rebuilt SC with a Riva S3 10-10.5 psi wheel. I knocked out two birds with one stone, replaceing the stock charger with ceramic washers that luckily for me were still both intact, and giving myself a hefty boost and mine went from around the same top speed as yours to 70-71mph with no other mods other then the required 42lb injectors which came with my charger for $450 shipped. I then sold the OEM charger (has some value) and OEM 38lb injectors for $250 so I spent only $200 to get a real upgrade. Next comes the air intake... I went with a kanaflex 4" intake kit. I cannot speak personally for the R&D air intake kit you speak of, but I've heard good things about it. Other options for the air intake is the Riva front air intake kit, and of course the rear air intake kit. The grate might solve your cavitation issue, but it might shave off a mph or so on the top end if not a little more doing so. One thing that's real easy and free to do is fill the ride plate bolt holes. I used silicone as it's easily removable later should you need to. You want the bottom surface of the ski to be as smooth and all panels transition as cleanly as possible to prevent drag on the ski.

Anyway, gives you something to think about with your mods, good luck in what you choose.
    Jared

I ride on a river and is somewhat choppy water and I like to turn hard and stuff. Is a rear air intake really the best thing. It seams to get pretty wet back there when I ride.

The intake grate will slow my boat down on top end?

Is the air intake really worth doing to pick up some accel and some top end?

Well they quote 100-200 rpm increase from the 4" intake upgrade. I didn't see that much however. The rear air kit takes air directly from the outside, so if you get water back in that area a lot, odds are it will get some injested. Front air kits replace the OEM restrictive intake plumbing with a nice big open 4" tube and a cone style air filter which you secure in the front of the ski near where the OEM inlet was. The intake grate does slow, but if you ride mostly choppy water it can help more then hurt in most instances. It slows down on calm/flat water top speeds because the "scoop" thats integrated on it used to push more water into the pump also creates drag while doing so.

I don't think the rear intake is a good idea for me as my ski gets pretty soaked. Is there a intake you would recommend over the rd? is fizzle good? or?

Will the intake grate help accel? it should help from cavitating on really sharp turns tho. How much is lost on calm water? on fairly calm water I see 66.5-67 on gps now all stock. i'm guessing the intake may give me 1-2mph on top end? this would probably be negated with the intake grate on calm water?

+1
    rear air sounds alot better and produces more than say a 4inch kanaflex front... but it you like jumping and turning a kanaflex setup is better.

kanaflex? Honestly is it worth doing a upgraded air intake at all? will you notice a performance gain?

+1
    Yes 4 inch up front fizzle kit remeber first few mods the cheapest grate front air bucket trim ride plate holes filled get a stage 1 prop while your at it.

sounds like the 4 inch fizzle is a better performer than the rd-performance air intake. The cheapest intake grate? do they all performa about the same?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information