Spudder then takes off

I have found a lot of useful information on this forum, but I cannot find a similar problem to mine.
    I just bought a 98 gsx 947cc with 100 hrs.
    It starts and idles good, but it spudders for 20 seconds with the throttle applied, then it starts to hit alittle, and after a few more seconds takes off. It runs great once it gets going, even if you turn if off for no more than 5 minutes. I'm thinking it is the ignition coil, but I'm not familiar with this skis ignition.

Some more minor issues I'm having are the vts clicks once when the buttons are pressed, but that is all it does.
    The info center worked on my test drive, started saying 12v lo, fuel lo, maint engine as I was driving it around a little later. It seemed to work fine other than the error messages, then it began to have incomplete messages (ie EE50 rpm) and now it does nothing. I reseated the plug, but...

thanks
    Mike
    Gainesville, GA

Quote Originally Posted by michwalt View Post
    I have found a lot of useful information on this forum, but I cannot find a similar problem to mine.
    I just bought a 98 gsx 947cc with 100 hrs.
    It starts and idles good, but it spudders for 20 seconds with the throttle applied, then it starts to hit alittle, and after a few more seconds takes off. It runs great once it gets going, even if you turn if off for no more than 5 minutes. I'm thinking it is the ignition coil, but I'm not familiar with this skis ignition.

Some more minor issues I'm having are the vts clicks once when the buttons are pressed, but that is all it does.
    The info center worked on my test drive, started saying 12v lo, fuel lo, maint engine as I was driving it around a little later. It seemed to work fine other than the error messages, then it began to have incomplete messages (ie EE50 rpm) and now it does nothing. I reseated the plug, but...

thanks
    Mike
    Gainesville, GA
    Sounds like a fuel problem to me, to start id check all fuel filters and carb screens.

Thanks for the reply,
    I checked the filter and it was a little dirty. Checking the carb screens looks like a big job.
    Unfortunately I was riding pretty hard today and it started bogging intermittently while I was riding. It would bog for a few seconds and then take off and bog and...
    I'll probably have to wait til after the fourth to check the carb screens.

thanks

dirty carb filters kill more seadoos than anything else. a 2 stroke (especially one as high performance as a rotax) will not live long running lean.

Your VTS motor is either rusted up (from water ingestion) or the molded circuit board that contains the "magnet reader" is also corroded! The motor is an easy fix, but you will have to disassemble everything, to include taking apart the actual motor and removing the rust. The circuit board is a little more difficult. It involves removing all of the injected resin that encompasses teh board and replacing the individual diodes on the board itself.

I replaced the internal carb screens, diaphrams, cleaned the main fuel filter, replaced the check valves, replaced all the grey lines, and sprayed out the selector valve with carb cleaner, but there is still a bog on take off after it has been sitting a while. Is there still more gunk in the selector valve that cannot be cleaned with carb spray?
    Hopefully I'll be able to pull the vts motor tommorrow and luckily my brother is good with circuit boards.

thanks

Check your accelerator pump for proper function. All to often we forget about these.

Thread Information