Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    unoriginal and from the south texas poser's Avatar

Ride plate bolt will not tighten down....

Finally put my pump together last night and on of the bolts on the ride plate wouldn't tighten all the way. I'm guessing the piece that's molded into the hull has come loose or something. Can I ride it like this or do I really need to look into getting this taken care of before I ride?

You should look at the rideplate inserts thread that's a few spots down.

+1
    You absolutely must fix the problem before you ride. It's a major safety issues if the rideplate were to malfunction while riding. Check the inserts in the hull and the threads as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by texas poser View Post
    Finally put my pump together last night and on of the bolts on the ride plate wouldn't tighten all the way. I'm guessing the piece that's molded into the hull has come loose or something. Can I ride it like this or do I really need to look into getting this taken care of before I ride?
    Don't ride it like that. That year ski still used the old style brass hull inserts. They have been known to spin and/or pull out of the hull. Best option is to remove them & replace with the newer style insert(part # 62 in pic). This diagram was from an '07 model(propulsion - exterrnal page). I'm about 90% sure the '07 FX uses the spacing on the ride plate holes as your '03, but the part #'s are different so I'm not 100%. It's only a $15 part though, so if you order it & it doesn't fit you're not out too much coin. Maybe someone else who's more familiar with the older FX's can chime in on this.

Quote Originally Posted by GPR Ed View Post
    You should look at the rideplate inserts thread that's a few spots down.
    Those won't fit the FX models.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Jun. 30 12.21.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	244039  

that would be why the pics in the thread mentioned above didn't make sense to me.
    Can I pull it out, clean, and reuse it for the time being? What should I use to glue it in?

does anyone have confirmation as to wither or not the newer style for the '07 will fit?

Man! I went out to take the ride plate back off, and now instead of 1 insert spinning I have 3!!!
    I need to get in there somehow and hold them still to get the bolts out.
    I took out the muffler, and the cross member thing, and what ever the black rubber and plastic thing is to make it easier, but they are still a pain to get to.
    Any tips on getting off all that glue stuff they put in there?
    And anyone know for sure if the newer style will work?
    I'm half temped to call the shop and get a quote for changing those out, I'm ready to ride this thing already!

I was thinking about this last night, what if I took a piece of aluminum strap about 2" wide and long enough to go from one bolt to the other. Drilled holes in the correct pattern, and used the bolts thru the ride plate and then washer/lock washer/nut on top of the aluminum strap. Of course sealing the bottom of the strap to make it water tight. This would mean always having to have two people to get the ride plate off, but it would prevent this issue from happening again.

thoughts?

I still say I'd like to try the newer style, but I don't want to wait a week for the parts to come in and them be wrong.

well good news. For kicks and giggles I went over to a parts site and compared the 2003 and 2004. The 2004 has the newer style inserts AND they both share the same part number for a ride plate. Looks like I'll be heading down to the dealership today and ordering two of those!

+1
    Heat is the best way to get that epoxy out. I'm not 100% with those older style insert because I've never removed one before, but this is what I do with the new style: Take a heat gun to the epoxy until it starts to turn color & smoke a little. Then stick a screwdriver in the hole & wack it with a mallet. 9 times out of 10 the epoxy will come out in one piece with the insert. Clean the area with acetone after removing any old sealant & use 5200FC to seal the new inserts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Heat is the best way to get that epoxy out. I'm not 100% with those older style insert because I've never removed one before, but this is what I do with the new style: Take a heat gun to the epoxy until it starts to turn color & smoke a little. Then stick a screwdriver in the hole & wack it with a mallet. 9 times out of 10 the epoxy will come out in one piece with the insert. Clean the area with acetone after removing any old sealant & use 5200FC to seal the new inserts.
    +1, this works

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information