Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2001 virage engine frozen

I removed the jet pump this AM and the shaft. It appears the engine is frozen. I haven't rebuilt an engine before. Is it okay to use an adjustable wrench on the shaft output to see if I can break loose? Or would this potentially cause more damage? And which way does the prop spin so I turn in the right direction?

+1
    jeep, might I suggest removing the plugs and filling the cylinders with diesel and let them soak overnight?
    Then in the AM, I'd try to remove the cylinders and see if they'll come off the pistons/rings and then try turning the crank BUT I have a baaaad feeling the crank is a problem as well.
    Good Luck, let us know what happens.

It may be the crank bearings. This is a ski a guy said got water in due to not having the drain plugs in all the way. Water got in overnight up about half way inside the engine compartment. That was about 5 months ago.

he is not real honest, so I am truly not sure what it is, but I guess a rebuild will need to be started.

Having never done a rebuild, do I need to track down a manual? Or is engine rebuild engine rebuild from one to another engine?

I have been soaking the cylinders with wd40 so I am not sure diesel soaking will do more, but I will try and then start by trying to remove cylinder.

If its the crank or crank bearings what is cost involved with replacment, or can this be fixed without replacement?

+1
    You'll definately need to replace the crank/rod assembly if there's rust/water traces. I'm thinking it was Jay at Atlantic Polaris that had a newly rebuilt engine for your ride. It's from his personal stash so you might be able to swing a nice deal.
    1200 crank roughly 600-1000
    gaskets/plugs etc. 200.
    Pistons/rings.bearings 300 zone
    Cylinders are going to need a hone at the very minimum 150?
    So I'm thinking bare minimum to be in the 1500 range with the hopes the cases are good.
    Now if you could buy a completely assembled ready to drop in engine for the 1800-2000 range you'd probablky be better off.
    These numbers are just my guess and you could go with cheaper or garbage parts and be out less money BUT you will truly get what you pay for.
    When you get it apart, show us some photos and see if we can help you along.

+1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13847

Quote Originally Posted by 4strokepolaristech View Post
    Complete Fresh 1200 Engine-- Crank is a 1200 that is in good shape with about 20 hrs ,fresh .020" O/S Bores,New Wiseco Pistons,new heads,all new Polaris gaskets,O-Rings and seals,1050 cases modded for 1200 pistons,stock reeds,intake manifold,new stator(4010170 new style) and bendix(factory Polaris),rebuilt starter--ready to drop in your boat. Please email me for more details 1500.00

I have the cylinders soaking and I will try and pull tomorrow.

How do I post pics on the forum? As they say a pic is worth a 1000 words...

+1
    Get your pictures to your desk top or pictures section of your computer.
    While posting your reply look towards the bottom where it says "additional options" and click on "manage attachments"
    Click browse and look for your saved picture, when you find it click the picture/document and click "upload"
    Once uploaded close the window and hit "submit reply"
    Your picture will be there with your respons.

Got it. Will post tomorrow barring any unforseen problems...

Engine Trouble

Alright I have torn the engine down as far as you can see in the pics. I can't pull apart anymore until someone helps to explain how. But I think I know the problem!!!

As the pic shows, it appears the hole combustion chamber is full of sand and debris. I have scraped some out to see what was going on. At first I thought the big hole was the water intake and exhaust and then realized the small holes as supposed to be for the water.

I have no idea how this much saltwater and debris got into the engine. The gaskets around the exhaust were still intact. The carb intake is rusty
    but has no such debris...

So I want to continue the teardown. How do you take off the cylinders? I have unscrewed and I have tried tapping. I even tried to pry a little with a chisel at the lip but I guess this thing is pretty rusted.

What is the best wear to do this?

+1
    Parts Manual
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information