+1

05 FX Cruiser oil in the airbox & filter

A buddy of mine has an 05 FX Cruiser and I think it may have too much oil in it. This seems to be one of the problems with these as I have read a lot about it here. There is some oil in the airbox but very little on the filter.

It dont start right up like it should then it smokes about like a 2 stroke does. After it runs for about 15 seconds it runs ok. If you take off right then it will run good for about 200 yards then starts skipping. One cylinder goes completly dead. We removed the plugs and spun it over. Fuel come from one of the middle 2 cylinders which could explain why the oil is too full if it has ran like this for some time.

A guy that use to have the Yamaha dealership here says its the computer and it cost about $1400.

Anybody experienced this? I hate for him to buy the expensive part if it could be something else.

Sounds exactly like over-filled oil. You have to check the level with the engine HOT on these skis (they have a dry sump system, not like wet sump on a car and other skis). If you check the level cold, there should be no or barely any oil showing on the stick. You have to run the ski on a hose for at least 10 minutes to get an accurate reading. Best is to ride the hell out of it on the water and check the level immediately after you get off (water will keep it perfectly level).

Get the oil level right first. If there is any oil on the air filter you will need to replace or remove it........even a little oil will reduce performance. Aftermarket filters are available from R&D that are cheaper and better. After you get the oil level right and air filter sorted, if there is still any running problems, change the plugs (they foul easily, especially with too much oil).

+1
    Thats what I was thinking about the oil level but my buddy (after leaving my house) said he pulled the plugs out and spun the engine over and it shot fuel out one of the middle cylinders. I was suprised when I heard him say that because its fuel injected. Carburetors or a faulty fuel pump can do that. I know if theres that much gas especially after sitting a while can go by the rings and fill the engine making the oil level rise.
    My dirt bike has a dry sump too. Yes its easily overfilled if you dont know.

Thanks!

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JH1200A1 View Post
    Thats what I was thinking about the oil level but my buddy (after leaving my house) said he pulled the plugs out and spun the engine over and it shot fuel out one of the middle cylinders. I was suprised when I heard him say that because its fuel injected. Carburetors or a faulty fuel pump can do that. I know if theres that much gas especially after sitting a while can go by the rings and fill the engine making the oil level rise.
    My dirt bike has a dry sump too. Yes its easily overfilled if you dont know.

Thanks!
    May need to check the Compression on that cylinder?

Thread Information