looking at buying 96 slt 700 have some questions

Ok so i have a 1995 slt 750 that i am going to be fixing up... low compression, broken reed just gonna go through and do everything that needs to be done..

So instead of having no ski i found a 96 700 twin for sale for 1000 dollars.. Going to wet test and do a compression test before i buy.

Power and speed wise how do the 700 and 750 compare? I believe they are both rated at 80 horsepower correct?

Most importantly does the 96 slt 700 come with the extended pump??

What are some common problems that happen i should check before i buy? thanks guys

Banned User
    +1
    I actually think the 700 is a little stronger. I have a 99 700 which is 95 horsepower and its a lot more powerful than my 750. I don't know what they did differently on the 96 700's as opposed to the 99 700's

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Carb rebuild and replace gray Tempo fuel lines would be near the top of the to-do list.

Eyeball the piston tops through the spark plug holes. Use a tiny LED flashlight to look for signs of lean burn (melted depression, beginning of a hole) in the center of the piston. Look for signs of proper piston wash pattern.

Ignition System Update Kit if original ignition is failing (possible symptoms include no start, poor power, loss of power at high RPM, loss of power when engine has been running for a while...)

Red domestic ignitions (all versions) require a really strong battery for starting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I actually think the 700 is a little stronger. I have a 99 700 which is 95 horsepower and its a lot more powerful than my 750. I don't know what they did differently on the 96 700's as opposed to the 99 700's
    Different cylinder porting and different ignition curves.

thanks guys.. as far as the porting and ignition curves is that something that can be upgraded somewhat cheaply? would like the additional power

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by popoman View Post
    ... as far as the porting and ignition curves is that something that can be upgraded somewhat cheaply?

would like the additional power
    The Hurricane version of the Ignition Upgrade Kit has the better/newer ignition curve.

Regarding the porting, you would either have to change your cylinders to the newer version OR have your cylinders ported by someone who knows what they are doing. A well ported Polaris twin can be impressive.

Banned User
    +1
    I am very impressed with the power I am getting from my 700. I have always thought a 96 SLT 700 would be a blast to ride, since I believe its still the same hull as the 94 and 95 SLT 750's. It moves my 600 pound SLTH around pretty good, I can only imagine what it would do with a lighter hull like the 96 has.

looking forawrd to testing it out!

does the 96 have the extended pump?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Different cylinder porting and different ignition curves.
    Cylinder porting and exhaust pipe !
    The 96 with good heads and carbs-impeller-will get a good speed.

No, the 96 will be the short pump.

well i bought it... 1200 with a really nice double trailer.. i figure 600 for the trailer and 600 for the boat. not a bad deal? both cylinders have 125 psi compression starts right up no problem. Guy did tell me it will randomly stop, not very often though. Wondering if this could be in need of the updated cdi/stator? Did happen once on my ride but started right back up... like hitting the shut off switch. Also needs an exhaust coupling between pipe and muffler which i believe is causing a slight low speed hesitation/studder. Gonna rebuild the carbs as well so i keep that 125 psi compression.. Only has fuel gauge which doesnt work.. have to see if its the float or the sender.

Thread Information