Problems starting

So i took my 02 gp1200r out last week and it ran and started fine. I flush it and park it and go to take it out a few days ago and it cranks for a second, than starts clicking. So I go exchange the battery and trickle charge it. I go to start it today and it cranks and cranks but doesn't fire. I hit the start button, and all it will do is click for one time everytime I hit the start button. I hold the start button in because it sounds like it wants to crank but doesn't. Than a tiny bit of smoke starts to rise from the inside bottom hull of the ski. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Quote Originally Posted by phillygp View Post
    So i took my 02 gp1200r out last week and it ran and started fine. I flush it and park it and go to take it out a few days ago and it cranks for a second, than starts clicking. So I go exchange the battery and trickle charge it. I go to start it today and it cranks and cranks but doesn't fire. I hit the start button, and all it will do is click for one time everytime I hit the start button. I hold the start button in because it sounds like it wants to crank but doesn't. Than a tiny bit of smoke starts to rise from the inside bottom hull of the ski. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
    Hey man. Sounds like the starter has gone bad. If the engine is not turning over at all when you hit the button. The click could be the gear throwing out but not being able to turn.

But then again it sounds like you are also saying the engine IS turning over. Would need clarification of the problem. Engine spinning over or not.

Engine turns over, but than its like the battery dies after a minute of cranking. Than the button just clicks once everytime I hit it.

EDIT: Just went to try it. All it did was make a click when I pressed the start button. Im guessing the starter is shot?

Pull the plugs, see if it turns over with the starter or by manipulating the crankshaft. If it turns over then its not an engine problem.... replace the starter and maybe even the starter relay too if you seen the smoke anywhere near the electrical compartment.

Good luck!

As Mrtinker said, try to push down the pistons by hand. This will tell you if the motor is seized, but it sounds like it's not. The smoke is probably the starter or leads getting very hot. Check for excessive corrision on the leads too.

If it only cranks one time like normal and then one lil push it sounds like the battery could be bad. How old is it and whats the voltage? I'd start there then look at the starter next and then onto other things..

Thread Information