timing questions

I am just trying to make sure I am understanding the timing correctly cause I dont want to have to pull this back apart. Ok, the crankshaft and balance shaft both have a mark on them and when they line up #3 cylinder is tdc. Now that is where is would lock if I had a locking tool. And the camshaft should line up with the lines at the top of the head. And I think this is where this should lock if I had that locking tool. So installing the chain in these positions should put everything in time. Correct? I know you have a little bit of movement to retard the camshaft gear needed. Does all this sound correct or am I mistaken?

Thanks,
    Jessie00721

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    You can't go by the line up marks on the gear to assume the cam is in the proper position, as it has slotted bolt holes. What's most important is that the cam & crank are locked, the tensioner is installed, and that the bolt slots give you room in each direction for adjustment if needed. You may find that the line up marks aren't dead perfect... but by having the cam & crank locked prior to tightening down the gear bolts... you are timed properly. I would recommend you get some locking tools, or at least use properly sized drill bits or something. It's not a guessing game... being slightly off can make a huge difference in cylinder compression.

maybe I will try some bits then and see if I can make it work. Anyone know the dia. of the locking tools? Thanks for the input!

+1
    whats the ideal compression on a fresh motor ? i feel mine may be advanced. their is no room to move the gear its full advanced. compression is 150 on all cly. dont mean to hijack your thread

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelytle1077 View Post
    whats the ideal compression on a fresh motor ? i feel mine may be advanced. their is no room to move the gear its full advanced. compression is 150 on all cly. dont mean to hijack your thread
    Did you deck the head or block... what pistons are you running?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    Did you deck the head or block... what pistons are you running?
    nope just re surfaced head and block, running 07 stock rxp pistons i think they are 8:4:1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelytle1077 View Post
    nope just re surfaced head and block, running 07 stock rxp pistons i think they are 8:4:1
    Resurfacing/decking are synonymous bro.

+1
    i didnt have a machine shop deck it as it was already true. just 800 grit to a 1000 grit on the head and block. it feels lean kinda like when your on the limiter that flat feeling ? i have a set of 42's i will try these first, boost is 9.2-9.4 at 8200rpms i know im on the limiter i have re pitched to get it down just wondering if im lean or to advanced on the timing ? dont have a afr at the moment

I ended up using drill bits for locking tools. Seems to of worked great. I have the sizes written down somewhere. I can post them if I find em.

+1
    IMO it is critical to verify timing by checking compression when you are done too. More info in this thread, its long, read it if you like: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ht=compression

Thread Information