2000 Kawasaki stx 900 project

I have just brought a 2000 Kawasaki stx 900 back from the dead.

It has been sitting for a long time. was told it had a carb issue when I bought it. Come to find out the PO put the fuel lines on backwards when he put a new fuel pump in it.

Drained gas and oil, cleaned the carbs, new plugs. All new fluids and the machine started up and seemed to be ok.

The ski stalled and started right back up. now if you hit the throttle it runs rough like it wants to die. any ideas ?

FYI: the battery was on its way out and didnt have enough juice to start it. I used a jump pack and it started right up. Someone said by me leaving the jump pack attached and on. this might have been thowing out to much juice and was causing the CDI to give falls reads.

I have brand new battery going in tommorow. we will see what happens then.

Any ideas or help would be greatly apprecitated and rewarded with a cold beer !

let me know what your GPS top speed is I have a 2k 900 stx also does 47MPH looking for some more numbers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gopats View Post
    I used a jump pack and it started right up. Someone said by me leaving the jump pack attached and on. this might have been thowing out to much juice and was causing the CDI to give falls reads.
    Nonsense. The only problem with the jumper pack is that the clips on the leads may vibrate and not make continuous contact. A new battery will help.

If the previous owner hooked up the hoses backwards, he may have messed up other things inside the carbs. What do the plugs look like?

popped a new battery in today and she started right up . the idle was a little rough but had good power. also changed the fuel filter again in case there was a little crap still in the tank. that seamed to make a differance. overall not to bad going to try her out in the water tommorow. might have to adjust the idle screw, but not going to get into that until i test it under a full load of water.

Venting is all working as it should also.

the machine has been sitting for a long time. Is it fair to say that its common that it would run a little rought at first. Im guessing that since ive only ran it for about 3 minutes on the hose that its probably not enough time for it to work itself out

i got it running good, but go figure the impeller and pump are junk. typical hahaha

anyone selling a good condition pump and impeller that fits this ski ?

I would just go with a refurbished pump and impeller. I was looking on ebay for you and used ones are even a few hundred dollars. You can head over to sbt engines and get an impeller and pump for about $450 with exchange and have some piece o f mind. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Thread Information