Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SC on water, TT on land

problem running rxp with rrfpr

I am having trouble running my sea-doo rxp with mods shown in my signature. It runs very rough when starting and trying to run. I have concluded that this problem is due to a bad a/f mixture. The problem seems to be coming from the fuel pressure. In the past, I have set my rrfpr to 60 psi (when I first put the key in place and do not start the jet-ski), and a/f mixture on the wideband was where it needed to be, and the jet ski ran great.

Right now, I can't get the rrfpr to hit 60 psi unless the battery has come freshly off of the trickle charger. I had this problem at the beginning of last season, and after getting a brand new battery, my problem was solved. I am now just able to get around to start jet skiing and just dewinterized it this past week. When I cranked it with the jet ski out of the water, it started off running rough and couldn't stay running as I couldn't get the rrfpr to hit 60 psi before starting it, then after putting the trickle charger on for about 30 minutes, it hit 60 psi without a problem and ran perfect.

The problem kind of seems like it may be the battery, but the battery has plenty of juice and turns the starter over repeatedly without any problems. So basically its down when I have a battery fresh off the charger, it runs fine, but after the jet ski has been sitting for a couple of hours and then I start it, it doesn't. I'm confused on what the problem may be, and I don't want to have to get a new battery every year, especially if its been on the trickle charger all winter and it has plenty of juice to power the jet ski. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul

+1
    I could be way off...but it sounds like your fuel pump may be trying to die on you

+1
    And or your charging system is not working. When running the battery voltage should be 14ish.

+1
    beer what up samuael adams is waiting for you we need to ride plus 1 to beer and all its sounds like eith your system is not charging or that fuel pump shitting the bed take a volt meter and check the voltage while running if its in specs i beleive your fule pump going south get a walbaro for 100 bucks best thing it did. But wait one more thing to check theres two filters in the fule pump assembly check them first but if your that far replace your fule pump wih a walbaro and ge the two filters and be alright.I think the one inside is a saturn and the one outside is from a dodge dakota 2004 could be vise vers if you need the part numbers pm me and i will dig them out good luck brother

Banned User
    +1
    ditch the turbosmart reg!!

+1
    If you can get to the return line (easier if remote mounted reg) from the reg you can pinch it off and see how high the pressure goes. If it hits over 75lbs you know your fuel pump is good and reg is sticking. If it still will not climb and hold above 60 you know your pump is bad,tank filter is clogged, or a bad seal on the line from the pump.

SC on water, TT on land
    Thanks for all the tips so far.

As far as the fuel pump goes, I know I replaced the fuel pump 3 years ago with an upgraded fuel pump, but I can't remember which one it was. I'll PM jerry and see if he has any records. I can't seem to find any on the 4-tecperformance website. I mean there is always that possibility that the fuel pump has gone bad, but the fuel pump hasn't been used that long, and my jet-ski only has 38 total hours on it. I replaced the fuel pump at 25 hours.

I haven't checked the charging system yet. Last season it was working fine (even though I had this problem to start the year out), but I haven't checked it this season.

If I need to ditch the turbosmart reg, then what would I need to replace it?

Thanks for the advice speedskixp. I do have a remote mount and never even though of testing the regulator out by pinching the line. I'll have to try that test out next time I'm working on it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PTLanza View Post
    Thanks for all the tips so far.

As far as the fuel pump goes, I know I replaced the fuel pump 3 years ago with an upgraded fuel pump, but I can't remember which one it was. I'll PM jerry and see if he has any records. I can't seem to find any on the 4-tecperformance website. I mean there is always that possibility that the fuel pump has gone bad, but the fuel pump hasn't been used that long, and my jet-ski only has 38 total hours on it. I replaced the fuel pump at 25 hours.

I haven't checked the charging system yet. Last season it was working fine (even though I had this problem to start the year out), but I haven't checked it this season.

If I need to ditch the turbosmart reg, then what would I need to replace it?

Thanks for the advice speedskixp. I do have a remote mount and never even though of testing the regulator out by pinching the line. I'll have to try that test out next time I'm working on it.
    I dont think Jerry sells any upgraded pumps in the store. You may have ordered a walbro from somewhere. Lots of fake walbro knockoffs on the net that dont last .

SC on water, TT on land
    I'm trying real hard to remember if I even did upgrade the fuel pump. I do remember taking something off the top of the fuel tank when I put in the RRFPR, but unsure on the fuel pump. I will go through my spare parts at home and see if I have a factory fuel pump laying amongst them and that will answer my question. I haven't looked at anything yet as I haven't had time, but I plan to try to find the problem this weekend.

If I still have my factory fuel pump in, I'm sure it would be recommended going with the Walbro given my mods. What Walbro should I get for my ski, and where is a good place to get it?
    I have searched a little and saw this thread. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ight=fuel+pump.
    Is it recommended to put an external relay in, or is it not necessary?

Also, if I need to ditch the turbosmart reg, then is there a better replacement for it? I don't have the money right now to go after a upgraded ECU + 50 lb injectors + high-rev springs. In the long run, I would love to go that route, but for now I can't.

+1
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VPN-GSS342/

I did not change anything electrical..
    Just put mine in Sunday works awsome!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information